Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leucothoe Charlotte Spring Show - Last Week

Posted by ncgardner 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 17:43

I attended the Charlotte Spring show last week. One of the gardens had a shrub that the vendor said was a new Leucothoe. It had redish leaves and was called "Ruby something" or "something Rudy" I have Leucothoe axillaris but can't find the Ruby one, even on the internet. Does anyone know the shrub I'm talking about? Please help me find this plant. Some Charlotte nursery must have it. I beleive the vendor said they got it from a wholesaler in Hickory. She gave me the name but I've lost the paper which had both the name of the plant and the name of the wholesaler. Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leucothoe Charlotte Spring Show - Last Week

There's one called 'Royal Ruby', a cultivar of Leucothoe keiskei.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Ruby

o

Karen, Thank you. I knew someone would know. Have you seen it in the Durham area? Where. Can't find it here so far. I'm in Raleigh and would gladly go that far to buy it.

o

I haven't seen it around here, but most of the garden centers I visit are just starting to get stock in. The wholesaler in the link lists Logan's, Homewood, and Atlantic Ave in Raleigh as retail outlets for their products, so I'd start with a few phone calls there. If they can't get it for you, Joann Currier at The Unique Plant in Chapel Hill might be able to do a special order for you. I haven't been over there for a while but I used to stop by regularly, and she's offered to help me track things down in the past. The wholesaler's website lists her as one of their retail outlets, too, so it looks like she does business with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Unique Plant

o

I checked with Steve at Homewood, and Logan's and will ask Joan or Sebastian. May be too early I will truck all the way to Winston Salem to this nursery if I'm going that way. Haven't checked all my wholesalers yet either. Homewood is having their 25% off starting this Friday until the following Sunday. Great deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here