Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueangel_gw

Front or back yard gardner's

blueangel
16 years ago

Just wondering do you garden more in the frontyard or backyard.

Comments (14)

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

Both right now. But once I get my front gardens established, I most likely will be more in the back. I'm 6oo Ft off the road so either is about the same for me. I think I'll be spending time in both as for relaxation, I've got a nice sized front deck planned and a huge one for the back. Those will be going in this summer. I'm guessing I'll be more likely to experiment in the back and the veggies are going in there this year.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

I am a complete newbie - I've been gardening for about a year now. Right now I am focusing on the front yard and giving my fenced in back yard up to my dogs. My front yard has far more diversity as far as sun exposure goes, so I can use a little bit of everything. Once I get the front yard to a point that I'm happy with, I may attempt to tackle the shady, woodland that makes up the back yard... dogs willing.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Definitely backyard. The front of the house gets no respect at all lol. I keep thinking I'll do something in the front but never get around to it. At least for now my largest bed in the back can be seen from the road if you're looking.

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

Always the front, because I want it to look good when I pull in the driveway so the experience carries me into the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

Front yard, although I am running out of space!

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Mostly the backyard and within the fenced area. Between the deer and the neighbor's dogs, the front yard is not my most satisfying area to work on.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

front yard. It's much better light, more open and most importantly, i don't have to climb a hill! Our back yard is big but narrow and shady for the most part and is situated along a good slope. Since we've about filled the front yard up, we'll be starting on the back soon. We have deer issues in the back and have to address that before we plant in earnest.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Everywhere.

• plantsonthepoint
    16 years ago

I'm a front yard gardener. I don't plant vegtables, mostly ornamentals, so they need to be seen when I drive up. That being said, if a "must have" can't fit the bill in the front, it'll go somewhere else.
    ---Keith

• DYH
    16 years ago

We're in a rural neighborhood of acreage, so I don't have to worry as much about curb appeal (200+ ft from road). We are very close to the woods in the backyard and that empty space is taken up with a deck/pool area (husband wanted SOME space! LOL). So, all of my gardening is on the front (south) and east side so far. I was going to work on the west side last fall, but the drought has postponed that plan.

I consider my outer garden (outside the fence) to be an experiment for deer and drought tolerant plants. We've got the NWF certified backyard habitat thing going. I also have a certified Monarch waystation butterfly garden, which also hosted swallowtails last year.

Cameron

• ncdirtdigger
    16 years ago

everywhere. Front, back, sides. I kind of move around from one week to the next.

• patskywriter
    16 years ago

right now i'm mostly gardening in the front. the backyard is HUGE, but i haven't done much yet besides plant some lilies and daffodils. however, this is the year that i'll start in and really accomplish something in the back. i'm planning on a pond, patio (with free pavers that i got off craiglist!), and putting green. and i simply must waterseal my deck.

pat
    durham NC

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Right now, only the back and sides. The back yard has my 3 koi ponds (soon to be 4 ponds)so that is the main focus. We are still building the house and our temporary mobile home is sitting in the front yard. Once it moves out of the way, I will have a blast doing the front yard.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

front, back and sides

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio