Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain water collection at Lowes Knightdale

Posted by mad_about_mickey **7* *N.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 18:27

they have installed pvc pipe to collect the rain water off the roof into garbage cans in the garden center. There were many cans and most were full, must applaud whoevers idea that was. All the plants looked healthy also.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain water collection at Lowes Knightdale

Maybe you could contact the headquarters (here in NC) and let them know about your pleased reaction. Maybe the innovation could be used in all their stores, the person responsible could get some much needed recognition,and you might get a gift certificate!! I have had some great experiences by getting the right praise to the right person! Just a thought. As one who works at a garden center, any little bit really counts!

o

What a great thing! I wonder if they are doing the same at other local stores? I'm sure the regional managers of these stores came up with the idea. I worked at a retail store like that and almost nothing can be done w/o prior approval. I'll check by the local Lowes in N. Raleigh and see if they are doing the same.

o

Logan's Trading Post in downtown Raleigh collects all of their rainwater and uses it solely for watering plants. They have a large roof area due to the old train depot, and collect the water in a large cistern in the back. They don't use any city water for irrigating their plants -- at least that's what they told me.

o

i tend the plants in the garden dept at the wal-mart on hwy 15-501. we were determined not to suffer waterwise like we did this past fall, so downspouts from the garden dept roof now direct rainwater to big barrels. i've suggested that the downspouts be replaced with flexible corrugated pipe so that when one container is full the pipe can be placed in another container so the runoff won't be wasted (right now the runoff just overflows and empties onto the ground.

when we know that rain is coming we line up the big flower pots and wheelbarrows to catch rainwater. then when i come in at 7am i empty the wheelbarrows into the flower pots. this week we're anticipating a huge delivery of plants and i'm sure we'll need every drop of water we can get to keep them alive!

pat
durham NC

by the way, the company that i work for is hiring, if anyone's interested. (i'm not a wal-mart employee--i work for the plant grower/distributor.) it's really a cool job. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here