Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_in_clay

New-to-me patio home; wet blank slate backyard. What would you pl

Claudia_In_Clay
11 years ago

Hello all. I'm back at GardenWeb after a long absence with a new home, new soil and new light. I have a small backyard with wet clay, shade and part shade and a privacy fence. The link below (if it uploads properly!) shows the layout... it's approx 20' x 18' with a 10' x 10' uncovered patio and small shed off of the house.

I'm looking for suggestions about periennials, small shrubs, shade plants, plants that can tolerate wet clay, and border plants. And, of course, they all must be tolerant of the brutally hot S.C. summers! I also plan on putting in pavers to the back gate and would prefer as little grass as possible. I tend to like the natural look as opposed to a strictly "tended to" garden.

I also have one other question: I have a sizeable Loquat tree in a largish container, but it's gotten so top-heavy that it's blown over a few times. I'd like to plant it and would appreciate any thoughts the folks on this forum have. Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for any suggestions or observations!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:563591}}

This post was edited by Claudia_In_Clay on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 18:45

Comments (5)

• User
    11 years ago

Claudia,
    Congrats with your new home!
    Glad to see you posting again.
    What do you mean by wet clay? Is the ground actually wet? if the soil is wet, you could plant bog plants and plants that love water and they will do fine.
    Just mix in a generous amount of cow compost in the clay and mulch, you should be able to plant any part sun bush or perennial plant.
    Just a thought, I jsut bought Liatris at HD on Saturday.
    I got 60 little bulbs for 14.99. They are perennial, they spread and are beautiful! Look up Liatris online and see if you like the look.
    Anyway, for part sun climbing hydrangea would love your yard, and it loves to climb on wood without damaging it.
    Cannas LOVE wet or moist soil, Bananas Love moist soils, you will have to mound it up when you plant it for drainage, but they are beautiful.
    Ajunga likes moist soil, any kind.
    Butterfly bush would do fine with manure, they can be planted in part sun, I would plant in sunnies spot tho.
    Iris would love your yard, if it gets at least 6 hours of sun.
    Well, that's all I can think of for now, I hope you have fun planning out your new yard.
    Congrats again,

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

In my Raleigh NC home, Loquat seem to do better with part of the day out of the hot sun and protected from strong winds. I have seen them in some pretty shady spots also but mine always fruit better with half day sun, half day shade. I have only grown them in deep rich garden soil that drains well.

There are plenty of natives that thrive in wet clay soil, they just aren't your typical flower garden plant and some have short bloom times.

• fluffybutt
    11 years ago

Plants that I have planted that can tolerate the soil are daylillies, wax myrtle and dystilium. I read that red and yellow twig dogwoods are supposed to be ok with poor drainage but I don't have any experience with those.

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

Below is a link to a great site for woody plants tolerant of wet soil. It's Qualifiers for Quagmires, by NC State University.
    I've successfully planted many of the recommended woody plants in wet areas of heavy clay.

For perennials, try Lobelia cardinalis, cardinal flower,
    Chelone, Mimulus ringens, primula.

Here's a list of perennials for wet sites.

http://www.plan-it-earthdesign.com/downloads/wet-peren.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: qualifiers for quagmires

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Claudia, start shopping garage sales for planter pots and plant stands so you can 'garden-up' using the background
    of the fence as planting area.
    Is it permitted to attach anything to the fence?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES