Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyliv10_gw

what do you plant in the spring?

livvyliv10
15 years ago

I've been here two years now and by chance I've only planted ornamentals in the fall, never in the spring. I've been so overwhelmed figuring out how to grow fruits and vegetables and fall plantings in my new home that I haven't done more. What ornamental perennials do you like to plant in the spring in this area?

Comments (11)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Wow..too many to list (or remember). What do you define as ornamentals in the fall? Kale?
    Ornamentals in the spring? I'm confused by the term 'ornamentals'. A trip to a local garden center (a real one, not necessarily a big box like Lowes or Home Depot) will, by what they display, give a good definition of what is planted in which season.
    Right now, I'm planting bulbs that will bloom in the summer if the squirrels leave them alone and the voles stay away. I'm waiting until maybe 2nd week of April to uncover some perennials and tuck in some annuals.
    Tell us more about where you live (livvyliv) ..on acreage,in a subdivision..under trees, in the open under the hot sun? (BTW..Welcome!!!!)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Do you mean annuals? I think I plant most of them, in my beds and in containers.
    Begonias, vincas, gomphrena, ageratum, impatiens, geranuims, angelonia, plectranthus, bacopa, zinna, petunias.....
    I'm sure I left out a bunch.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Yeh, I left out all those perennials I plant that don't come back the next year!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

livvy, from where did you move? In the South, we have to pay attention to the heat factor when planting. Some plants that thrive anywhere up North or in cooler zones might want protection (tree shade) from the hottest afternoon sun.

How about some book recommendations for livvy, folks?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Southern Living Garden Book is my #1 reference go-to first.
    For fun reading and info I like Passalong plants and although it's old, I like Gardening in the South by Don Hasting and I love the UGA trial gardens website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trial Garden plant reviews

• livvyliv10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! I moved here from Denver, CO, but I didn't have experience with anything but vegetable gardening until I came here. I live in a newer (read: lousy "soil") subdivision in the Triangle. I guess when I say ornamentals I just mean things you don't eat. hee, hee. And when I ask about what to plant in the spring, I'm wondering what takes just the spring (as opposed to fall, winter, and spring) to get established so that it can make it through our long and very hot summers. I like to stick mostly to perennials because my time and money are pretty limited (I'm young with 3 small children). I really love gardening here though. Can't wait to try those books and the website. Thank you! :)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Livvy- you should plan to come to the swap in a few weeks. You'll pick up lots of goodies there to get you off to a great start for no cost other than a homemade goody or 2, plus you'll get to meet a bunch of great people in person and get some wonderful advice!

Most perennials will benefit from being planted in the fall here- it's really the best season to plant most everything, but there's plenty you can start in spring. Just know you'll have to water more that first year.

Also, don't discount self seeding annuals. They are easy to deal with and can provide nice filler for your perenns. Things like cosmos, bidens, salvia coccinea, nicotiana and many others will only need to be planted once if you don't over mulch or make it a habit to save the seed and throw it back out after you mulch. Those were all spring germinating summer annuals- but there are plenty of fall to winter sown spring blooming ones as well- larkspur, poppies, nigella and bachelor buttons are but a few.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Also coleus. The neat thing about coleus is you can buy maybe three plants,different leaf colors and take snippings before you plant the plants. Root the snippings in water and in 6-10 days you have a bunch more to plant. Same with the New Guinea impatiens(and I think also with begonias).
    Lots of people mulch to conserve moisture and deter weeds but take care not to mulch too heavily that the intermittent and brief rains only wet the mulch and it evaporates before reaching the soil. Water deeply once a week rather than a sprinkle a day unless you've got baby plants that are heat sensitive. Better then to water deeply a couple times a week.
    If we have another summer like last one, we'll be limited as to when and how much we can water our flowers and shrubs.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

Two reseeding annuals that I've fallen for are Cosmos 'Bright Lights' and Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph' (syn.'Cherry Blossom'). The Salvia is a favorite of bees and hummingbirds and the Cosmos is just plain cheerful. Both laugh at the heat.

• livvyliv10
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much -- this is all so helpful. I haven't heard of half these plants and never even considered self-seeding annuals. There's such a wealth of knowledge here. I'll have to see if I can find a babysitter and come to the swap. My children are very little, and I can barely buy groceries when they're with me. hee, hee.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Livvy- talk your hubby into helping you! There's good free food for the gobbling... most hubbies who aren't into plants can't resist that. :) We've had some swappers bring babies in the kangaroo packs and that seems to work well, too. But 2- i don't know how you'd manage 2. There is a little playground adjacent and some trails in the woods behind. So if you can convince hubby or the sitter there is a place for the wee ones to play. The crazy part that you'd want your hands free for is only really about 15-20 mins in duration. We hope to see you!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville