Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia7b

How is your wintersowing going?

alicia7b
16 years ago

I don't start anything until April (although I've stuff stratifying in the fridge since Jan.) but was wondering how other people's wintersowing is coming along.

Comments (8)

• transplanted2scin07
    16 years ago

I didn't Wintersow, but there may be some of you who appreciate what happened this past weekend with the seeds I started indoors:
    I had planted some seeds in an egg crate and within just days could not for the life of me remember what I had planted, especially since I did not label them... So, when it was time to plant my peat moss pellets, I faithfully wrote out labels on popsicle sticks and duck-taped each stick near the corresponding, now-swollen and seeded pellet. On Saturday, I decided the entire tray could go outside to get a bit of extra light. Despite the severe t-storms we had, all was well when I checked later in the day.
    Sunday morning came and they were still doing great. It was breezy, but since they had weathered the t-storms I figured they would be fine.
    Hubby and I went out for a bit and when we returned he noticed things weren't quite right on the porch where the plants had been left. We checked it out and discovered the wind had caught the tray just right and tipped it over. My immediate thought was "oh, no, the labels will be everywhere and I won't know what is what!". Wrong. The labels were fine, - it was the peat pellets that had tumbled everywhere! I just hope once things sprout I'll be able to figure out which pellet goes with which label!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

So far i've sown 1 flat and about 30 pop bottles. I have growth in about 1/3 of the bottles and more than half the flat. I also have a lot of old wintersowing long term containers from last year and before for wildflowers, ect. that take forever. A few things have sprouted in those. I need to get a bunch more started- just gotten bogged down.

• irislover_nc
    16 years ago

I have 23 of my 27 containers germinated. My Asclepsias tuberosa and 3 asters are the only no-shows so far. Of the 22 that are up, I have begun cutting bigger holes in about half. The hollyhocks and sweet william will be the first to go in the ground...some of the stuff I like to break up into 4 inch pots and give a bit of extra time to. We'll see...I know the faithfuls say it isn't necessary.

• mad_about_mickey
    16 years ago

My hollyhocks, foxglove, gaillardia, red hot pokers, black eye susan, triple purple datura and daisys are all doing well. The tomatoes are already in the 4 inch pots, they are san marzano, mortgage lifter and roma. I also have CA. wonder peppers. Have luffa sponge gourds started that just took off in the warmth. Just started the moonflowers, let's see how they do. Running out of room now. Hubby says the garden tub is now a garden.LOL. Hope to bring some stuff to swap.

• alicia7b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When do you start your wintersowing containers usually?

• mad_about_mickey
    16 years ago

I usually start by the end of Feb beginning of March. I haven't had any luck starting anything out side,the wind is horrible and blows everything away or the dog knocks everthing over. I actually start everything inside in the house and gradually aclimate it to the outdoors. Trying to get lots of perennials going so that I can fill lots of space. And I make lots of sauce and salsa with all the tomatoes...Last year I stuck some babys in the tomato bed after the tomatoes were done and hoped that they would make it. I now have about 18 of the gaillardia that survived and can be moved to their permanent place.

• irislover_nc
    16 years ago

My containers went out the third week of January. They've been hanging out and growing ever since. I just think it is the greatest to look out my window and see new babies popping up in February and March.

Meredith

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

mine are doing very well - I haven't actually kept an accurate count this year due to other circumstances but between my husband and I we easily have 30-40 different varietes of veggies or ornamentals going. I still need to do all the tender annuals....

Lynne