Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you i.d. this winter annual weed for me?

Posted by pfmastin 7b N. Carolina (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 19:51

I should know this...I thought it was a kind of chickweed, but the leaf seems thicker and it's serrated. Can someone identify this for me? Thanks!

weed

weed close-up

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you i.d. this winter annual weed for me?

I think it is Veronica persica or something related.

o

Looks like mouseear chickweed... see link.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: weed photos in NC

o

won, I tried to make it mouseear chickweed, too, but it doesn't appear to be crenated like this weed. Esh, I think you have it. Maybe I'll let a couple of them bloom to be sure? Thank you both so much.
Pam

o

Cameron, thankyou for the photos of winter weeds. I had a huge stand of what I now know was hairy bittercress. Every year I try to get it before it goes to seed but it's darn near impossible.

o

Those photos are interesting. I have all of them.

o

I sometimes volunteer in a wonderful native plant garden, and Veronica is our second worst weed. First one? Italian arum! It is a beautiful plant, but it can really take over. If you have it, be aware of the awful potentials over a long period of time.

o

I have the Johnny Jump-ups everywhere! At least they are cute weeds.

I've been digging up the hairy bittercress for a month now, but I keep seeing it everywhere, too. Flowering now, no less.

Cameron

o

ncrescue..so THAT'S what I have ! Italian arum. It was a houseplant given to me and I tossed it on the compost pile in the woods. Didn't plant it. Now it hasn't grown bigger or spread but it's a dependable and interesting rich green against the leaves.
What I have out there in native abundance is mayapples. Every tree that falls down brings more dappled light and the mayapples spread by underground shoots. Used to try and avoid stepping on them but now there are so many I don't watch where I'm stepping anymore.

o

Cameron, I agree...Johnny Jump Ups are great weeds! Dottie, I swear that hairy bittercress comes out of the ground with a bloom on it! :)
Pam

o

Not only does it arrive with buds breaking but they must bloom overnight and pollinated by who knows what mini-bug because even the teeniest bittercress plants have a seedpod that invariably explodes as you threaten to pull it out of the ground.
Bad enough they're in all my borders but now they are growing happily in the moss that covers a side of my terrace foundation. Hmm..once I get the hairy bittercress out I wonder if I should try throwing alyssum seeds onto the moss?

o

Moss is the best place for seeds to germinate, I swear!

As the season for hairy bittercress winds down, I notice that the plants mature faster (as you said even the tiny ones get flowers and seed pods) making our jobs even tougher to find those before they go to seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here