Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlmckay_gw

Ants in container / raised bed

tlmckay
12 years ago

Please forgive the length..I'm rying to give all the info. so as to receive the most appropriate responses.

I just moved to NC and have never lived in a place with fire ants. No idea what I'm dealing with.

I built raised beds and filled with compost, but decided to top off with some soil I brought from my last home in containers because the soil was too rich and black to leave behind.

I dumped out one of the containers onto the bed and started spreading it around with my bare hands when I noticed it was full of ants. I stopped right away fearing fire ants - I was not bitten. My husband stuck his finger in to see if he could get one of them to bite and they did not.

As they crawled onto the wood I could see they were red instead of black, but seemed lighter red to me.

I was concered that they would nest in my new bed in the beautiful compost I just got so I scooped out where the ants were thickest, taking out about 1/4 - 1/3 of it and placing back into the container.

I then moved the container back where it was, away from the raised bed.

A little more info...we moved into this rental about 4 weeks ago. I put my containers in the grass just off the patio. Along the house and the posts of the patio were fire ant hills. We were told that pest treatment was done before we moved in, but we don't know for sure. We treated the visibly inactive nests with Amadro drench(sp?) and have not seen any fire ants, and even swept away the nest dirt a couple weeks after treatment. I offer all this because I'm wondering if perhaps the fire ants were active under the nests and after we treated they moved to the container a few feet away.

I looked online for more description of color and got 2 things - they are darker red and that if you aren't sure if they're fire ants poke a long stick in the dirt. If they climb up they're fire ants, if the scatter they're not. My husband said he poked his finger in them trying to get them to bite and none climbed up.

So, FINALLY, my questions. Basically, what do I do? With only some of the ants in the raised bed will they possibly build a new nest there or is it dependent on if the queen is in there? Or, because they are so scattered and their nest so destroyed, might they move out?

I'm feeling quite nervous about what kind of ant they are and was planning to plant seeds tomorrow but now I am afraid to. I know I can't treat that soil where I'll grow food with something like the Amadro (again, sp?).

Anyone? What would you do? Ever had an ant nest in your raised beds?

Thank you!!!

Comments (3)

• chas045
    12 years ago

I think you can safely say that the ants you found are not fire ants. While the brave and slightly unwise are willing to poke a fire ant nest with a stick, I doubt that any local would do that with a bare hand more than once anyway.

The first point is that they sting and it hurts a lot for a week to a year and several stings would give you a medical visit. AND they are agressive.

Second, they live underground but build tall mounds, probably over an inch high. However there are little black ants that build small mounds too.

Here is what I wrote a couple of years ago:
    The North Carolina ag extension agents have been giving classes in fire ant removal for a year or so. The gist of the class is the following.
    The effective way to remove fire ants is to poison the ants with any of the slow acting types that slowly get carried to the whole colony including the queen. This completely removes the colony AFTER A FEW WEEKS. Generally these are distributed around but not on the hill on a warm day when the ants are foraging. Put a potato chip near the mound if in doubt; if the ants don't show up in 30 minutes they won't be around to pick up the poison until it gets damp and unappatising.
    Also important; one should not indiscriminately poison all ants. Other ants are teritorial and will fight to keep fire ants away. They are your friends!

• tamelask
    12 years ago

and- the poison is poisonous to birds, too- so best to cover it up lightly with tarps and such til it's gone so as not to poison your local birds. I've found if don't want a fire ant nest somewhere, if i rile them up good, they'll move elsewhere. I tolerate them in my garden b/c i have lots of good ants and i don't like poison. Just be aware of where they are. They do like to get into potting soil, but if you discover a pot with them in it, bang and thump it around good and really soak it a couple times and they are likely to relocate. They don't like being disturbed. Of course if you don't have them, keep an eagle eye and get the first mounds with poison and you'll remain fire ant free. But once they're around, it's hard to totally control them.
    One method that's supposed to work is to take a shovel full from different mounds while it's still cool and let them fight it out. There's some controversy about that though, b/c they form huge colonies and while it may look like a bunch of different nests, they are probably connected.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

This is a proven ant deterrent that Ann Landers' sister, Abigail Van Buren, once recommended in "Dear Abby," her syndicated column, now written by her daughter: Take a piece of chalk, like that used in school classrooms with chalkboards before the advent of today's electronic smartboards, or whatever they're called; and draw a heavy circle of chalk around whatever you want to keep the ants out of. Except for an occasional rogue ant, or scab, those little pismires will not cross that chalkline. Try this method instead of polluting your corner of the universe with chemicals.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor