Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn473_gw

Newbie forum

glenn473
16 years ago

I guess I am a huge newbie. Just started researching this forum and really see how much..(I don't know and) I would like to know. Have had a successuful veggie garden past few years with the basics from local big boxes and farm supplies, and am intrieged(sp)about the knowledge I am seeing. Just set out the basics this weekend..onion sets ..transplants of cabbage,broc and seeds of the usual spinach,rad,beet,lettuce ect. Each year I grow the same items such as tomatos that have limited selections and the basics that the Lowes H Depot have..OK shoot me..wondered what it takes to step it up a bit and try options. Looking at the tomato planting forum and not knowing any of the varity they are using has my attention. How and where do I gain info to take this to next level? I will start by reading here! Any basic direction would be apprieciated!

Mucho Thanks

Glenn

Comments (13)

• sandandpines
    16 years ago

Hi Glen473
    I am even a newer member than you are! Just thought I would jump in here since the title is "newbie forum." But reading here seems to be a great start for moving to the next level.

While I'm not a novice gardener, and not even new to NC, I am new to the Sandhills of NC. I know some of the species/genus names but garden mostly by the old-fashioned names my grandmother and mother used. Yes, I do shop at the big boxes, and often get some good stuff there. But never had any "winter honeysuckle"...that sounds good.

Heavy clay? Sure I can deal with that. Sand? Pines? Maybe maybe not, just getting started. One positive thing about the sandy soil is that digging is so easy. I just transplanted some shrubs that were not happy where they were to what I hope will be a better location in the yard. Also just finishing a new brick patio which calls for some new landscaping.
    I will be interested in any information about what grows best in sand and under pines! (Interested to see that gardenias grow well here...great!
    Need some screening plants near the street. No grass...we don't even intend to plant any, and with all the pine needles falling, we haven't had to buy any for mulch material...(yet.) Got some scraggly azaleas that look like spidermite heaven (been spraying a bit,) some mature but scant-blooming crepe myrtles that I'm moving to a sunnier location, a big rhodie that half-died in the drought and has holes in the core of limbs where I pruned away dead branches (anybody know what that is...a bug?)
    Oh and today spring really arrived here...I know because yesterday evening there were no biting midges...this evening there are, and they're hungry!
    Anyone with screen-plants suggestions or other shrubs, or plant-biter or people-biter insect control advice please step in here! Sand-gardening is a new challenge.

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

If you have had a successful vegetable garden for years I'd say you are doing quite well, newbie or not.

As for different varieties, there are a lot of seed sources online where you could order different things to try. It's easy to do a search for a specific variety name and check for hardiness and special requirements. The price of seeds is usually not so high that it will prevent a bit of experimentation.

The forums here are a great place to learn. There are many gardeners who post here who know LOTS more than I do and I learn new things almost every time I stop in. I also borrow gardening books from the library. People learn in different ways, I know, and many would not enjoy reading about plant culture and techniques. I do, though, and books like Bob Polomski's Carolina Gardening or the Southern Living gardening book, which are geared to this particular region, have been helpful to me for information that a lot of more experienced gardeners seem already to know. (Gotta start somewhere, right?)

I've gardened for many years and I still feel like a beginner in a lot of ways. It's a learning experience no matter how long you've been doing it and that's one of the things I love about it.

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Glen-I agree with lindakimy, no matter how long you garden you can still learn, I just started 5 years ago and I am amazed at how much I learn every day. Gardening is also never an exact science, we are working with Mother Nature here.

As for tomatos, I find a variety that looks interesting then I google the name. I usually find great ag or university studies for the particular variety and that helps me quite a bit. I have found the tomato forum leans toward tomato fishyenados and they don't seem to like to answer beginner questions, at least that has been my experience over there.

I buy tomtato seeds from Totally Tomatoes seeds, Burpee and Cooks Garden. I have just germinated some great new varieties (new to me)Can't wait to get them in the garden.

Happy Gardening
    Susan in NC

• lee_71
    16 years ago

If you want to know more about which tomatoes grow well and
    are avaiable in central NC, check out:
    NCTomatoman's web site

If you want to see some photos of various tomatoes grown in
    NC, check out:
    Tomatopalooza[tm] web site

Also, the veggie forum, soil forum, and tomato forums are all great sources of information for your specific questions. (Of course as you may have already figured out, you can learn a whole lot by reading other's Q&A!)

Lee

• nancyofnc
    16 years ago

Don't forget the Exchanges pages - this forum and other forums. A lot of us old-timer gardeners love to share our seeds, not just for veggies but for flowers too. Most times it would cost you only a couple of stamps (SASE - self-addressed stamped envelope). Even though it is mostly for exchanges (give some get some) there are many who pity the newbie and send seeds to them to get them hooked on the almost unlimited plant varieties on our earth.

Nancy the nancedar

• blossom_in_the_sun
    16 years ago

I like the idea of a newbie thread!
    Welcome to the newbies

I am somewhat of a newbie and I have only been here a couple of years. I have been to a couple of the swaps and enjoyed my self tremendously.
    This is a great group of people with infinite knowledge for the beginner or master gardener.
    ~Teresa B

• pfmastin
    16 years ago

All great ways above to learn more and more about our favorite pass time and passion. I agree with everyone else...read, read and read some more. Whenever I feel like I'm in over my head on something, I just pick it apart and do some googling to learn more. The danger is that you get sidetracked, but that's ok, too. Have fun!

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Glenn, after you read, read, read, when you're out and about at area nurseries and/or Farmer's Markets just start up conversations with folks around. Nothing delights gardeners more than sharing info with others, especially the more elderly. I love listening to their stories and experiences! Many 'Old Timers' have forgotten more than I'll ever know when it comes to gardening and they love to share too.

• red_clay_soil
    16 years ago

See if there is a Master Gardener sale anywhere in your area, they are a great source of all kinds of veggies specific to your region. Last year I got some wonderful tomato, cucumber, eggplant & zucchini plants at the Master Gardener sale at Tanglewood Gardens outside of Winston-Salem (also got some perennials & annuals).

I'm sure there is something similar in the sandhills area.

• theannans
    16 years ago

I just moved to North Carolina from Texas (my home state) and before that I lived in California for about 6 years. I'm a total newbie!

I'm starting very safe with an organic container garden. Aside from that I prefer native plants in white, green, yellow and orange colors. Although I'm not against a pretty flowering plant that also does well in zone 8.

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

The best way to branch out is buying seeds. You can get such a variety buy sowing seeds early in the season, b/c our growing season is so long. You'll get more bang for your buck. Good luck! My parents would always get dried up beans at the produce section of the grocery store and ask if they could have them...then they'd plant them in the garden and we'd get tons of beans. Heck seeds are pretty cheap.

• bonnie_il
    16 years ago

We just moved to NC before Christmas and I have a lot to learn about what grows here and what doesn't. I've been surprised by a lot of plantings that are coming up. Very pleasant surprises too.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Also check the 'winter sowing' forum. It's a wonderful way to add some green to our winters and keep more in our pockets!! :)