Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

What about Chinese privet for a hedge

carla17
15 years ago

This area borders the street and I want some privacy from the road and other houses, which are located higher than my property. This area is an extension of our yard and there are some azalea, daylilies up there. What do you think?

Thanks,

Carla

Comments (10)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Good grief, no! That is the number one invasive plant in the southeast.

How about Abelia 'Canyon Creek'?

Here is a link that might be useful: More about canyon creek at this link

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh, thank you for recommending the Abelia. It sounds pretty. I will probably go with that. Thanks for the link too.

Carla

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Mimosa, privet...you aren't planning an arbor of japanese honeysuckle and kudzu, are you? =)

• carla17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster, I don't fully understand your statement. I'm getting rid of the mimosa which wasn't planted.
    esh, a friend told me that Abelia can be scraggly. I guess I'll go to the nursery here and try for some advice, not that the advice here is not good. I had hopes for Abelia because it's not just another boring shrub.

Carla

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

carla, they might be talking about the older cultivars of Abelia - the ones that get much bigger. Abelia 'Edward Goucher' is another smaller cultivar (3 to 5 feet). These newer ones are good examples of what it mean to improve on previous introductions! From another site: If pruning is required, remove shoots at their bases in late spring. Alternatively, it can be grown as a hedge to 5 feet high and 3 feet wide. Set plants 3 feet on center and remove the tips of long shoots to encourage them to branch. Once established, prune a hedge of ÂEdward Goucher annually in spring.

Other possible evergreen suggestions are Agarista populifolia (used to be Leucothoe, hobblebush is a common name, 'Leprechaun is a dwarf version but still not too small), and dwarf forms of Wax myrtle.

Cheers to you for wanting something "not the usual".

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Sorry, Carla...just bad humor on my part. I apologize.

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

Depending on light and soil conditions, Illicium or viburnum Chindo could be used to make a nice evergreen barrier.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I too have to say no to any kind of privet. Years ago it was planted here and it's taken over the woods next to the house. It looks awful and the birds spread the seeds everywhere.

I guess you are looking or an evergreen hedge? I like Karen's suggestion of viburnum. The white flowers are fragrant. Osmanthus fragrans is another good choice and smells great when it blooms.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Carla, Abelia is very charming. It has special charm for me because my grandmother had a row of it. Bumblebees love it. I have never seen it lanky or scraggly and it does come in different sizes.

Privet is awful in my yard because the birds plant it everywhere and it sprouts from roots. But I do like one of my privet plants which I have pruned as a tree you can walk under. The black blue berries are pretty. If I had a choice I wouldn't have it though.

I think blueberries might make a nice hedge and they are so good for you.
    Linda

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

What would you think about cleyera japonica or Osmanthus fragrans? Both are evergreen. They might get taller than what you need, but neither would be difficult to control. The Osmanthus has an amazing fragrance when it blooms.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional