Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it just me...or is there something to this?

Posted by lindakimy 8 SC Midlands (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 21:22

Yesterday morning I did the majority of my big spring garden clean up. That means I got right down at dirt level and pulled up old mulch, dry leaves and whatnot. I think of it as a "reunion" each spring - "WOW...I haven't seen you for a year! Welcome back!" That kind of thing. I check all the teensy sprouts...the iffy perennials...all that.

We had tornadoes through here yesterday evening. Two miles away.

Well, the nasty weather blew through - thank God we didn't have major damage (the roof still has to be inspected, though, because we did have BIG hail) - and this morning...well, things have just taken off. Suddenly hostas are up that were NOT there yesterday. Alliums are a good half inch taller. And so on.

I've noticed this before after severe storms. Am I nuts? Has anyone else noticed this? Anybody got an explanation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it just me...or is there something to this?

Hydrogen peroxide in the rain.

LOL - do a search in the forums.

Nancy the nancedar

o
RE: Is it just me...or is there something to this?

I've heard that this could be partially due to the nitrification of the air due to lightning strikes; resulting airborne nutrients are then supposedly carried to the ground via rainwater. Sounds good, anyway. Mostly, it's probably just a response by the plants, which have been receiving increased light and warmth, and whose growth is triggered by the sudden abundance of rain. Plants like Hosta tend to make most of their growth for the season in one push, anyway, so there's a mechanism that lets them take advantage of the opportune time to do it. However it happens, it is one of life's little miracles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here