Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncmom_gw

Need screening tree/shrub suggestions

ncmom
18 years ago

I would like to plant a line of screening shurbs or trees in and area that has pines overhead. It looks like I'll need about 20 trees to accomplish this task.

Oakleaf Holly, Yaupon Holly and Camellia japonica have been considered. The camellia, or similiar flowering plant, would be a first choice but the slow growth would take years to accomplish the desired screening.

Last summer we did see 5'-6' Yaupon hollies at Broadwells for around $40. Which isn't bad until I calculate 20x$40. (although 10 might at least be a good start for this year) Would a Yaupon grow under the pines?

Master Gardeners are having a plant sale and selling 3 gal. Oakleafs for $19. Not a bad price but how long would it take for them to reach 5'-6' feet in height?

Our soil is heavy clay.

Should we wait to plant until fall?

Any other screening suggestions?

Comments (10)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

How about wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera)? Good for wildlife too. Planting now is ok.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax Myrtle

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Yaupon should do fine -- it's a very adaptable holly. You'll need male and female plants. I love wax myrtle, which is a great screen in full sun but is a small see-through tree with shade.

• tamelask
    18 years ago

oakleafs grow at a decent clip, but i don't know how much the clay might slow them down. i planted mine in clay and it has tripled in size over about 5-7 yrs. was about 2' when i planted it- is about 6' all around now. i don't know what size the pot was, but it very well could have been 3 gallon. i haven't babied it at all- if you watered & or fertilized, the growth might be faster. nice flowers that persist. and remember, oafleafs are deciduous, so your screen will be bare come winter.

i have a weeping yaupon in pretty heavy shade, and it's done well. i didn't plant it there, and in fact didn't know what it was for a long time. i think it must have been planted 20 yrs ago. there's a second one that's very stunted beside it. it's nice and dense and is about 10' tall. doesn't bloom or set as many berries in the sahde, but the form is still nice.

althea(rose of sharon) can do ok in light shade and has the advantage of fast growth and nice blooms in a range of colors half the summer. disadvantage- it sets seeds. if you mulched well it might not be a problem. it's also deciduous. if you find someone who has them, they'd be happy to share, probably. i know i will if you want some. we had one that was about 15-20' in the backyard before fran came through. the remaining ones are about 12'.

you might consider planting 2 or 3 types of plants in your space, just to vary it a bit, and so that if any one thing doesn't do well, the others can carry its weight. it tends to look a lot more natural, too. you can have your cake & eat it too if you have some evergreen & some deciduous back there.

i would think for most things planting now would be just fine. good luck! tammy

• raven20
    18 years ago

Yuletide Camelias grow pretty fast and bloom in winter. I agree with Tamelask in staggering the grouping of the plants so you don't just have a line of shrubs. Groups of 3-5 inexpensive ones like needlepoint holly and intersperse with a couple of larger plants. Chindo Viburnum grow fast and would provide a thick screen. One bush grows to 5x10 feet but they are easily pruned - I keep mine at about 5 feet. One of these would equal 2 of another bush. If you plant now just remember to water weekly throughout the summer.

• ncmom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sharing a follow-up ... We decided to go with Chindo Virburnum. We found an awesome deal on these at Broadwells ... 10 gal. (about 5 ft.) for $15 ... 3 gal (about 3-3.5 feet) for $7.50.

We also purchased a few waxmyrtles for a corner area. These were $7.50 for 3 gal.

Thanks for the suggestions provided!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    18 years ago

Wondering if cherry laurel would work for you. The bright and tight variety.

• javaman
    18 years ago

I think you will be happy with the chindos. I planted about 6 each 4 feet apart and they have made a nice screen. Each is about 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall. I planted these about 4 years ago and they were about 18 inches tall at the time. Very dependable plant that can handle dry conditions.

Last time I was at Broadwells they either carried 6 foot plants or 18 inch plants (1 gallon pots). You are saying that they carry more medium sized plants (5 to 10 gallon) now?

• ncgardner
    18 years ago

Ok guys, I'm new in town and need to know where this "Broadwells" is located????

As for the screen. Have you considered a Sand Cherry? Great shrub. It has a deep red oval leaf and makes a great backdrop for flower gardens. It can be a hedge, screen, grows tall if not sheared, and great by itself with an upright growth pattern. LOVE that plant. Can get 6-8 or 8-10'I'm not sure. It's a little early to see them in nurseries. I was at Homewood Nursery (Raleigh) for their sale and they don't have them yet.

• lynnencfan
    18 years ago

I have just recently discovered Lorapetalum - it grows fast - has color ALL year ranging from green leaves to burgundy in fall and winter - has pretty pink flowers off and on all the time with a big flush in the spring. It will grow in sun and shade and can be pruned to what ever you shape you want. I have them out front of my house as a foundation plant and keep it low (4' or so) but also have it out under pine trees as an understory tree about 10' and still growing. I really think it is underused in the landscape. Definitely go with a mixed border - that way if a blight or disease comes through - you don't loose EVERYTHING....

Lynne

• tamelask
    18 years ago

broadwell's is straight down old stage rd in garner. to get to old stage, go down 401 til you see the circle k. it'll fork to the left. you'll drive forever it seems(about 10-15 mi), crossing over 10-10, 42 then 221. right after you've crossed 221, you'll see it on your left. old stage nursery on the right, is good, too- owned by the nephew of the guy who own's b's. ck b's first, as he's a bit cheaper. if he doesn't have what you want, ck old stage. they carrry mostly shrubs & trees, a few perennials. 8-6ish hrs m-f, til noon or 1 sat, closed sun. be aware they are both large and 'roads' are rough- you want an old truck to drive to where you want to get the plants. ask the american looking person in front where whatever you're after is, because once you get out in the 'fields', there's barely any help & most don't speak english. its a fun adventure. can't get stuff cheaper. have fun!