Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia greggii - perennial?

Posted by transplanted2scin07 7b upstate SC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 21:57

I could have sworn Salvia greggii was a perenniel here in Zone 7. I know it overwintered last year but this year it looks absolutely dead. Was I wrong or is it just slow to wake up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia greggii - perennial?

Mine always come back and I have 6 in different locations in the yard. I cut them back a month ago and they are all bushy.
Try it again. I have some in part shade and some in full sun although no area is damp. The one in a pot came back too.

o

I'd give it a few more weeks before declaring it dead. Most of my greggiis haven't started to put out new growth yet either, and the stems are bare after all the late cold weather this winter so they do look relatively dead right now. Don't start cutting on it very hard until you see where the new growth is going to break on the stems. Some varieties are hardier than others -- this past winter will help separate them out.

o

Thanks! I'll give it a bit more time. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I saved any seeds for myself.

o

Mine look dead as a doornail. I only got them last year and was told they are perennial. Another salvia I got has already leafed out.

o

I have a lot of greggii. Some are full of leaves, some half full, some look like sticks, but just showing signs of life. Just today, I did some gentle cutting back on the fine tips that were definitely brittle. I am cautious until I see more leaves, then I will trim down to the green foliage.

All of mine looked good until the last snow sat on them a few days. The snow had the same impact on my dianthus and clumping bamboo. Today, they are loosing that anemic, bleached out look and showing green again. Hang on awhile.

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here