Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building soon in Asheville...what to plant?

Posted by ncamy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 22:55

Where can I find a good list of trees, shrubs, and flowers that thrive in the Asheville area? We are building on a very small lot in town and want to make it special. If I look up plant suggestions by zones they aren't all that different from where I live now (in Charlotte) yet I know that Asheville is cooler than Charlotte and will not have as many 90+ temp days as we have. I've also heard that Asheville is a very dry area, yet it always seems to be very green and lush compared to Charlotte. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building soon in Asheville...what to plant?

Go to the arboretum at UNC at Asheville-like UNCC, http://www.ncarboretum.org/ to find out what grows there. Since you have a small lot hemlock might get too large but they grow naturally in the mountains as does Kalmia, mountain laurel and rhodys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Thank you. I actually wrote the NC arboretum and they did write me back. Unfortunately they said that they didn't really have any published lists of what does well in the area. Although they did educate me on the fact that within the few miles surrounding Asheville, there are actually several zones due to the changes in elevation. They also said that the rainfall varies greatly within the county! Guess I'll have to keep talking to local folks.

o

Go to the Biltmore estate. They have a great collection of rare and native tree specimens that are quite old. They also have a flower garden. Walk around and bring a notebook. I believe most are labeled around certain trails and walking areas. Good luck! A great place to garden I'm sure :)

o

Try the County Extension office - the agent should have a good idea as to what should be good to grow, where. Many extension offices have lists of recommended plants, be they trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, vegetables, etc., and they might have a "local zones" map as well. Since you are building, in town, the conditions will be different from those out of town or up one of the "hills". I would also, when you get there, take the Master Gardener class - it will help you a lot with adapting to local conditions.

I am at the bottom of the mountains, just over the line on I-26 into SC. I know my area is about 2-3 weeks ahead of Asheville as far as bloom times for trees, flowers, etc.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here