Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

too late to cut back liriope?

lsst
17 years ago

I let time slip by and have forgotten to cut back my liriope. It is the silver variety with the white and green.

Is it necessary to cut it back every year? It is looking sort of ragged.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• greygardener
    17 years ago

I hope it's not too late. Still haven't cut mine back either. While I don't do it every year, mine is looking raggety this year and I'd planned to chop it down.

I'm pretty sure it's still safe to whack it back. I've just now gotten around to cutting back my large grasses...and I know they're still safe.

• heather_q
    17 years ago

I cut mine last week and it's just starting to show new growth. I'd cut it soon so you don't damage what's just starting to emerge. It should be fine if you do it now.

Heather

• lsst
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! I will add it to my to-do list for this week.

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

I would agree with Heather - if it hasn't started to re-grow, or if the growth points are still pretty short, then I would chop away. I would double-check, and be sure to stay above any new growth.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

i have trimmed mine way late before with scissors. it's a whole lot easier to do it now with the mower on high though. we still need to do ours, too.

• lsst
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I finally got it done. I did it with scissors as I can not get a mower into this area. Boy, does that stuff spread! Each year it takes longer and longer to cut all of it.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

you can use a weed whacker, but it'll leave rough edges. 'course that would be hidden as soon as the new growth filled in. scissors always leave it nice, but boy, itkills your hands to do much of it that way. sheep or hedge shears would work great, but i don't have any since we don't shear anything.

• hotroses
    17 years ago

I'm partial to sheep shears - I got mine at a feed store. They are easy to sharpen and seem to keep a sharp edge for a long time. Also, I get some sort of evil pleasure from using them on beetles and cut worms.

• new2nocarolina
    17 years ago

I cut mine back on Saturday. I used the electric hedge trimmers. The scissors were killing me.

• tuel
    16 years ago

How short is liriope supposed to be cut? We have never cut ours before and we've had it for 6 1/2 years. We live in North-Central Texas (Z8) so is it too late?

• tamelask
    16 years ago

it's typically done in the spring here before the new growth starts. if you don't mind looking at a hacked off stub all winter, i guess you could do it now, but it may make it more susceptible to cold. if you do it at the right time in the spring, the new growth hides the stubble very quickly. you don't have to trim it back, but the new growth is prettier, if overall a bit less full (since you don't have old strands, too), if you do. it looks more graceful. you trim it down as far as you can comfortably do it- you'll know.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    16 years ago

My goodness, everyone seems to be doing these tasks early. The long grasses look especially nice in winter with the seed heads and I've never sheared my liriope before mid to late February. We still have stretches of warm weather to come before hard winter. The longer fronds of liriope help to protect the new growth from frost damage. Leave it on as long as possible, I say.

• pkirby_abtech_edu
    12 years ago

We have had construction going on and I am concerned that the liriope that I cut back in March won't grow back until next spring. It's now May. Will it grow back out?