Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Triangle-Area Compost Sources?

Posted by strom NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 23:21

I am moving to the Triangle area soon and want to be prepared to start my garden ASAP. I will be living in north Raleigh, pretty close to the airport.
Can anyone give me advice on the best places to get bulk compost, especially mushroom compost?
I do know about Raleigh's municipal operation, but it is pretty far from where I'll be. Also I believe I will need a dump-truck load and it doesn't look like they deliver.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Triangle-Area Compost Sources?

I use Triangle Landscape Supplies which has an office in that area. Last time I bought from them the compost was made from sweet potato waste and maybe turkey farm waste - but that was years ago and they may have a different source now. I usually buy the topsoil/compost blend for my flowerbeds and veggie garden raised beds. It looks kinda sandy but performs better than anything I could ever mix up on my own and getting a year or so without weeding is a plus.

o

I realize that this isn't what you asked for, and I don't actually have specific knowledge about cattle ranching on that side of the triangle; but in North Carolina, one is never far from some serious rural farming and ranching. Some of these folks need to get rid of their manure. Some go so far as to pile it and turn it so that it becomes compost faster and they sell it at reasonable prices. You just need to ask around (once you get here), and someone will know someone else who can point you in the right direction.

o

Atlantic Mulch on Ten-Ten Road in Apex sells compost based on the waste stream from a local enzymes manufacturing plant and they deliver. You can read about the different compost formulations they have by going to the Ecozyme website. Family Garden at exit 290 on I-40 also delivers several kinds of bark and mulch. Mulch Masters on US 64 in Apex is probably the biggest supplier of mulch and compost in western Wake County.

o

Thanks for the ideas - I will definitely look into all those places. Much obliged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here