Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie123_gw

brand new to the area

stephanie123
14 years ago

I had many beautiful gardens on Long Island in New York. I spent many hours and lots of money. I had to leave it all behind and I am starting brand new in Summerville, SC. Does anyone have any seed that they could send me for perrenials for zone 8. I would also appreciate advice on what best grows in this area. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• User
    14 years ago

Stephanie,
    What is the sun requirement for the plants you want?
    Is there alot of shade? Partial sun?
    Is the soil sandy? Mine is.
    I am about 1 1/2 hours west of you in Aiken.
    If you have sandy soil, buy soil conditioner at Home Depot along with some manure and mix that up real good in the bed before you plant.
    That is what it's called soil conditioner.
    It is pine fines and hold the moisture in the sandy soil so that you can grow plants.
    Then mulch, mulch and mulch again. LOL.
    Some of the plants you will be able to grow are gardenias,
    petunias live over the winter down here, dahlias live over the winter if you mulch well, you must visit local nursery to get an idea of what will grow down here.
    ALmost everything you grew up north will most likely grow ok down here.
    Camellias, magnolias are everywhere down here.
    Don't plant lilacs, lillies in the ground, tulips, delphiniums won't come back, and alot of shrubs will burn up in the sun, so ask at a nursery.
    Walmart sells seed cheap for alot of plants that you could try out.
    Do you like roses?
    If you spray for disease, they will grow very well down here. Put a cup of lime in the soil when you plant it to get it as neutral as possible.
    Remember, what ever you plant in the ground, soil conditioner, manure and mulch.
    Mulch is your friend, especially down here.
    The sun is very hot here June through the end of September and it will burn up plants that aren't mulched.
    GOod Luck to you!

• plantsonthepoint
    14 years ago

Hello and welcome.
    I moved from Jasper County, in the Lowcountry, last Fall. I am now happily transplanted to Raeigh, NC. While I was in SC I had fantastic results with the following, (assuming you take butterfly's advice,):
    Canna varieties
    Baptista australis
    Hibiscus moscheutos
    Aspidistra elatior
    Agapanthus africanus
    Musa nana
    Brugmansia spp.
    Alocasia macorrhiza
    Lantana camara
    Graptopetalum paraguayense

There are a great many more plants than these that wil do splendidly in your new home. I recommend the Southern Living Garden Book as a reference to keep on hand. It's available at Lowe's for sure. I have found it to be invaluable. Good luck on your garden!
    ---Keith

• evilscott
    14 years ago

Stephanie, please do not buy any "soil conditioner" from Home Depot or any of the big box stores. Try the local nurseries where you will get products tailored for the Carolinas and your soil type.

First, however, get a soil test done with the local Clemson Extension office.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Home and Garden Information Center