Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinabluesky

Attack of the Aphids

carolinabluesky
16 years ago

Uh oh! Has anyone else noticed a dramatic increase in the Aphid population recently?

I tried to find info on these little pests and they say that a cool spring really brings on a baby aphid boom.

I do have quite a few ladybugs eating their hearts out but I think I may need to (I hate to even say it) spray.

What is the best thing to do or.. spray that will not harm my beneficial insects?

HELP!

Also, the aphids seem to be confined to mint and rugosa roses so far. Is it necessary to treat everyhting?

Comments (14)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

a good stiff squirt with the hose will normally knock them off. The problem will resolve itself in short order as the predators catch up. If you really feel you have to spray with something more noxious, try soapy water.

For places where there aren't predators, I've had good luck in my greenhouse with a mix of 1/2 rubbing alcohol, 1/2 water with a 1/2 teaspoon or so of tobasco and a squeeze of dish soap (for a quart or so). make sure you shake or agitate it a little before yo spray it to mix- the pepper settles when you don't use it. But spray with a heavy squirt- no atomized fine spray unless you wear eye and a mouth/nose covering, because once that pepper is in the air, you'll breathe it in and it's painful!

• carolinabluesky
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I'm going to use these suggestions starting this evening.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Tis the season for the first big aphid explosion. Soon the predators will show up and get things under control. A blast from the garden hose will solve the problem. Aphids use chemical cues to find their group and host plant. Once you knock them off the plant they cannot find their way back no matter how close they are. You could even flick them off by shaking the stem (just be sure to shake them away from the mama plant). All sorts of other insects like to eat aphids - things like ants on the ground and predatory beetles.

I get these sort of population blooms on my plants and within a month everything is back to normal and there is no visible damage to the attacked plant - no apparent weakening, no scaring, no leaf damage - so no reason to overreact.

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Knock on wood and hope I'm not jinxing myself ..... garden pests are between minimal and nonexistant in my yards. The test of time seems to be working. My solution is a twice a year, easy application of beneficial nematodes. Have religiously done this for now going on six years and pests have not been of issue thru the last five - not a bad track record for the little invisibles.

(Japanese Beetles are still a problem, but I know they're not from my soil - first, I have no grassy JB nesting areas at all; second, if any do dig in, the 'todes get 'em. Overcoming the neighbors' JB spawning grounds is just beyond my 'todes abilities.)

Before 'todes, I had aphids and other nasties galore - since 'todes, nada. Knocking on wood again! But, I really do think the establishment and regular renewal of beneficial nematodes in the soil is working. Strongest stuff in my garage is Serenade for the occasional powdery mildew - the 'todes do the rest. Just my experience - hope this helps.

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

Zigzag, how do you produce/get/purchase/whatever your beneficial nematodes? Those sound like some workers I'd like to hire in my garden.

• zigzag
    16 years ago

mbuckmaster, email me and I'll share details of the source I've used. IMO, they're the best. Don't want to compromise my membership here with retail details - y'know!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

actually, i think it's ok, now zig. Apparently, they have a garden watchdog-review type forum ala dave's, on GW now. So post away- i'm sure many would like to know, myself included! thanks- t

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Well, if Tamelask says it's okay ...... I'm on board! And very glad to share my source and a bunch else ....

Based on my own very positive experiences, I totally recommend and endorse the beneficial nematodes from Hydro-Gardens in Colorado Springs, CO. Yipes, that's way out there - yep! Shipping costs more than the product - yep. Deal with it! More on that later ....

Way back when, I had a pet/dog related business and natural/organic flea & tick control were paramount. That's how/why I got into this on the organic level - out of necessity - chemicals in my pup's environ just didn't float my boat, fact is they scared me to death.

Finally in control w/my own home and yard, I was able to institute the natural methods of parasite control I'd preached as an apartment dwelling business owner - beneficial nematodes were the key to outdoor success. And a wonderful side effect was/is their (the 'todes) gardening benefits! Pardon my euphoria ..... :o) I am just such a happy camper!

Back to the question ..... with a bit of work (very little, actually) regular installation of benefical nematodes on a twice yearly basis solves a myriad of garden ills - those little 'todes are very hard workers!

While I don't have the storefront anymore, I do still order in that ilk for myself and have a bit of a (wink) break on cost. Now I'm seeing nematodes for sale in mail order cataloges ..... nope, I wouldn't go there, 'todes have to be live, pedigreed and ready to dig. They need to come from a reliable source. I'll stick with my original source.

I'm going to put in my personal order next week - anybody who wants a million or three 'todes, just sing out - maybe we can share the shipping cost. For the cost conscious, 'bout $25 /million is close to the going rate - how far that million will go is totally subjective. Cost is very hard to assess ..... I'm pretty poor, but keep getting 'todes each year - it's up to you to work w/in your personal garden budget.

Take a look .... www-hydro-gardens.com

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info...definitely something to look into. Are the nematodes harmed by fertilizers? My lawn is still young and I can't get away without it yet.

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Mbuck - fertilizers should not be any problem for the 'todes - best thing for you to do is get the phone # from the website, call and ask them specifics. They're extremely well versed in their business - btw, 'todes are a teeny tiny part - Hydro Gardens is expansive with lots of great info.

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

Yes, it looks like a good place to spend money! Lord knows I'm good at that part of gardening at least... =)

I appreciate the tip!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

thanks, zig- will hafta ck that out. I know i ordered some from garden's alive many moons ago and used them, but didn't notice a tremendous difference, so i didn't do it again. They were alive, too- you could see them with a hand lens if you looked well enough. Kinda squicked me out, actually. Seems like they were a similar price. It's interesting to know how well they did for you, long term. Perhaps i gave up too easily. Perhaps i'm just too lazy- to tell the truth. :) We have so many natural predators, really- ladybugs, assasin bugs, wasps, lacewings and mantids, that for the most part the bug end is covered. Jap beetles haven't been a tremendous problem for me. Diseases, though- that i could use some help with. Some of that comes from raising veggies, and that's what i mostly have problems on/with. The ornamentals do just fine. I do follow best practices- organic, rotate crops, disease resistant cultivars, etc, but i have such a small area, i can't seem to lick certain ones.

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Tami and all, part of my point in posting about this is that I do feel confident that the 'todes in my life have survived the test of time. They are not a quick-one-time fix and the bi-annual installation has worked for me ....... happy that I can share, finally, something of merit backed up by the time test! :o)

My first installation was, indeed, a trial by fire and a huge exercise in blind faith. New home and new landscaping, but that August (but 3 mos. from yard done) I added some mulch that was, apparently, infested and the flea bloom was horrible! On the dog, in the house - what a mess! Had to do something and tho it was totally the wrong time to start 'todes, I did what I had to and the reduction of parasites was nearly instantaneous and amazing. Not wanting to risk another infestation, I pledged to the bi-annual ritual (aka, following directions!). Learned my lesson and while I love the spring re-mulch, I'm always suspect until my new spring 'todes are on the job.

Point of doing them bi-annually is that while the 'todes colonize and reproduce as long as they have food sources, there is some inevitible die-off. The reinstallation is just bringing in fresh troops. Over the years, I've had a few hiccups, timewise, in getting them situated (just last fall I didn't get them installed as fast as I'd wished and am sure I lost some little soldiers in the refrigerator), but feel confident now that the 'tode colony is florishing right here in my yards and is more tolerant of my shortcomings.

As you may remember, I am 'blessed' with very small yards so have no excuse for not managing them properly. I'm truly tickled and thankful that my 'todes save me from myself and are such an integral component in the overall health of the landscape.

Works for me and hope this helps.

• carolinabluesky
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great news- they are gone. Thanks for sharing all your experience and good advice. I follow your threads and learn something new every time.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus