Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Leptodermis oblonga

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

Is anyone growing Leptodermis oblonga? Nurseries are giving it rave reviews but I'm not seeing as good a reviews from the public.

Comments (11)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Its on my list of things to try but I fear it wants full sun which is something I do not have.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

I need to google it -- unfortunately the name makes it sound like a skin disease. :)

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea, I googled it and there's a lot of back and forth about scent vs no scent and full blooming vs occasional blooms and one person said it really suckered, which doesn't exactly thrill me. Still, it's pretty (if it does what they say), a fragrant bloomer and I like the lilac-y blooms. JCR even calls it a false lilac.

Here is a link that might be useful: false lilac

• karen__w z7 NC
    15 years ago

I've been curious about that one but haven't seen it for sale around here. If it suckers that much we could elect someone at the swap this weekend to try it, and then dig us all starts next year if it turns out it's a keeper.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

The only thing that puts me off is the number of people talking about how small it is. It's even recommended as a ground cover - not my idea of a bush. I'm still interested in anything fragrant with a long bloom time.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

...but I saw a few say it got much taller. That's what's so confusing about this plant. I wonder if it's two different plants? Maybe a species type that gets much taller, fewer flowers, etc. and an improved dwarf version.

• dellare
    15 years ago

I've been growing two in pots for a couple of years now. They do have a pleasant scent but nothing that you would smell from a distance. The flowers are not particularly big or showy or prolific but it blooms off and on all summmer. Hummingbirds really like them. Mine are growing upright, about two feet tall. I've seen them grown by someone that sheared them back every spring and hers were more like a ground cover. They do sucker, one three inch pot had filled out a 12" pot in one year. All that being said I like them very much. Its one of those unusual plants that people always ask "oh, what is that?". Oh yeah, I got them at BB's. Adele

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Have had one for several years and it is more of a small shrub than a ground cover. Haven't ever noticed much of a scent on it either but I tend to ignore it. To me it is one of those overhyped plants. There are plenty of other plants that are more showy and smell good in my estimation.

• surface_noise
    15 years ago

I picked up a plant at BB's after reading rave reviews. It's all right, but nothing I can't live without. I suspect maybe it performs better, or at least blooms for a longer period, in areas with cooler and/or shorter summers.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Adele (wonder saleswoman) talked me into one today at BB. I await its first bloom.

If yer gonna be in my garden - you gotta stink!!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!