Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duscarter

New Lawn

duscarter
15 years ago

I live in Columbia, SC. Last week (end of March), I tilled up a large section of the lawn and threw down some Pennington Bermuda seed. The recent rain spells are helping me keep it damp. How long will it take to germinate here?

I should have researched on GerdenWeb about the ground temp. needed first.

Comments (5)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Should think it would be up by the end of this week or sooner.
    I'd have answered sooner but I was overcoming the shock of anyone purposely planting bermuda.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I know a lot of folks hate Bermuda here. But it really is a pretty good solution for the Sandhills area. It's pretty drought tolerant, tough and will grow anywhere you plant it with little care. And you don't have to mow quite as often. Bermuda usually greens up in May, the temps do have to get warmer for it. Germination can be 21 days or so. Try with winter Rye after it gets established for that green most of the year lawn. You do have to be very vigilant with weeding but it can be managed. Be careful of where/how you plant it, and just know that what you save in labor of mowing, you most likely will make up in weeding to keep it under control. This is my 3rd season with a Bermuda lawn and it's not given me much trouble. Honestly, I've had more problems from my land not being preped properly by my contractor than with Bermuda. Don't be too shocked at me Dottie :-) It suits my purpose well. And gives me less issues that some of the native weeds. LOL I have native weeds around here that could choke Godzilla.

• duscarter
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. We have an acre and a half that I would eventually like to be grass. Trying to work on one section at a time. I will keep it damp and hope the upcoming cold weather doesn't hurt it.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

What's that new Pennington variety that is more drought resistant and grows deeper roots? Is that what you're using,duscarter? Columbia is warmer than here so be sure to keep your soil deeply damp.

• claudia_sandgrower
    15 years ago

Still chuckling over Dottie's first answer... good one! ;-))

I'm about 30 miles southwest of Columbia in rural Lexington county (we commute into the city for work). The soil in the sand hills can vary... some areas have more clay than others. If the Burmuda doesn't work out, centipede might be your best option (- pausing to listen to the howls of dismay - ;-)...). We tried Bermuda and Zoyzia here in the sand with pitiful results. We finally seeded with centipede and covered with wheat straw - germination was amazingly fast (it's been too long ago, so I don't remember how many days). The lawn doesn't seem to require too much watering to remain green and is very lush and dense in most, if not all, areas. We do have mostly shade in our yard - lots of deciduous trees in the lawn area, bordered by oak-pine forest in the natural areas of our property - so that helps with the baking sun that we get here!

Much luck with the grass, duscarter! It's hard to get anything started here in the sand, but it IS possible. The folks in the know here on GW have helped me out many times!