unusual plants
bletillia (no purple or First Kiss)
irises (no purples)
unusual sedums

Comments (92)

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Countrygirl - I would like some of your grape hyacinths - let me know what I can bring you in exchange for those.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

This will be my first swap. Our house is only 2 years old, so we are still landscaping and nothing is large enough to need splitting. Therefore, I am just looking for extra plants any of you may have.

We did go to a down the street neighbor's house yesterday and dug up some Mayapples. I can bring some of those if anyone is interested.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

Tammy, what kind of plectranthus do you have? I would love to get some begonia cuttings from you. I haven't had any luck with leaves. I have three in my office that I got from you last year. Love the foliage. would you be interested in some daffodil bulbs?

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Here's what I have, let me know if any mistakes

Jdb, mahogany ajuga, praying hands hosts, dazzleberry sedum, wonder of it all, and hot lips salvia. ...and eggs

Lisi...Kim, June hosts, twisted arrows rush, salvia sensation and Anthony parker.. Let me know if there are any more items on my list you would like..in exchange for your columbine. I also have some ready to transplant kale ...I don't save seeds from the plants, just give to the chickens when they start to bolt I do plant seedlings spring and fall.

Tammy, dazzleberry sedum and twisted rush

Country girl, dazzleberry sedum and hosts praying hands... And yes please, a yellow tulip bulb would be great.

9 years ago

Lorabell, I couldn't give you just one, so there are a couple big tulip bulbs with a few babies set aside for you.

• jbarutis
    9 years ago

Ok, I posted this in the wrong thread, so I'll re-post here:

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the swap on Saturday! I will bring more coral bark japanese maples, red cascade rose and dwarf nandina. Is anyone interested in mint?
    I have babied my lovely coleus from the fall swap (thanks CountryGirl!) and dear hubby is happy to have them out of our south-facing bathtub! Would love to get a daphe odora, mexican orange, alstromeria or vegetable seedlings.

Judy, I'll bring you a red cascade rose.
    Tammy, I don't have coleus to share yet, but I'll keep you posted ;-)
    CountryGirl, I'd love some of your grape hyacinths. I know they are supposed to be indestructible, but somehow I lost most of mine.....

9 years ago

Sure, I will bring you some.

9 years ago

I have one special trade of this Iris that I have labeled as "Yellow and White Siberian Iris", but not sure if it is a Siberian. There are two bulbs and it is about to bloom. Tempt me. I am always looking for variegated plants, sedums,
    {{gwi:565747}}

• tamelask
    9 years ago

countrygirl, it looks more like a dutch iris to me (i have a very similar one), but it depends. does it form a clump spreading out from the middle, or does it come from a bulb? dutch are bulbs; siberians form spreading clumps. also, dutch bloom earlier - like now, whereas siberians bloom in about a month.

countrygirl, i'll see what cuttings i can get off my begonias- some i have enough, but some i won't. which ones do you already have (what do they look like)? leaves aren't hard- you should try again - it's a magical process! i can talk you through it sat. i don't need daffs unless they are really unusual (strange colors, forms, or sizes). i love grape hyacinth but don't really need those either. tempted to try a zanzibar but am trying oh so hard to cut back on the houseplants! so no worries about even steven. oh, and as for plects, i have the rounded one that makes good hanging baskets called jewish ivy, i have mona purple, and i have one that has an ivy or oak like leaf that is strongly scented. i might have a couple more- i will have to go double ck. some grow slowly enough i don't want to take cuttings.

jeri, no worries- i see you often enough i can always get some later and if not, no biggie.

kim, you need 2 pawpaws for adequate pollination, so yes, i'll bring another. i wouldn't mind some crocosmia and or grand parade for the comm garden. i've tried crocs here before and it's too shady, but out there they'd be stunning! and beebalm is always nice. esp shorter types...

dekeobe, no worries. just bring your mayapples to the general swap unless someone speaks up for them here. we always have some newbies, and we welcome them with open arms- we've all been there at some point. those of us who've been going a while always bring WAY too much and speaking for myself my goal is always to come away with less than i bring so it evens out. just bring something yummy for the potluck. :) and welcome!

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Tammy - thanks and yes, I can bring you crocosmia and bee balm.

Lorabell- the day lily is beautiful or a pinch of dazzleberry if you have any left to give away. I can bring you some of the columbine. Do you have society garlic? Oh and I would definitely like some eggs please.

9 years ago

Tammy, I believe you are correct that it is a Dutch Iris. I was sure I had it mislabeled. It grows straight and tall. Lovely in a group.

One begonia has oval dark green sort of glossy leave leaves and the other has white spots. I am willing to try leaves. I will pass on the plecs.

9 years ago

The Zanzibar has been spoken for.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Lisi. Kim

I'll add to your stash the daylily, a smaller bit of the dazzleberry sedum, and I do have some seedlings of society garlic started in jan.-

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Whoa! Lorabell, I was trying to find something in my seed colleection that you might not have. I have a little salsify.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisianthuslover - Yes, I can bring you a ostrich fern - Can I get one of your deep purple bearded iris?

Countrygirl - Yes, I would love some yellow tulip bulbs if still available. Let me know what you would like.

Jerri - Let me know what you would like for the cascading rose.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Judy-thank you so much. You are very sweet. And yes i will set aside the irises. I am also looking around to see if I have anything truly special for you for all your trades since you passed on the juniper.

9 years ago

Yes, Judy. I have a few tulips left that I will put your name on.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Judy-thank you so much. You are very sweet. And yes i will set aside the irises. I am also looking around to see if I have anything truly special for you for all your trades since you passed on the juniper.

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

I am so far behind because of the cold weather that I wish the swap wasn't for another month. I am potting up a gorgeous Monarda variety that John and I think is 'Raspberry Wine'. It has proven to be very powdery mildew resistant. I am also potting variegated Petasites (Coltsfoot). Its foliage is very striking green and yellow right now (shade), but it has proven to be a bit of a thug in that it spreads underground. I have several just sprouted ornamental 'Bonanza' type dwarf peach trees in gallon pots. The six-year old parent tree is one of the favourite plants in my yard and seems to be disease resistant. I can dig ginger lilies, Bengal Tiger Cannas, 'El Butano' Salvia, variegated Bishop's Weed (not as aggressive as the green-leaf form), Cana 'Australia, lavender garden Phlox, dwar Mondo Grass and I have lots of year old geraniums that I overwintered. I may have lost several of my long time salvias to the cold including 'Wild Watermelon', 'Hot Lips' and 'San Carlos Festival'. It will be a while beore I give up on things sprouting from their roots. Tammy, I would like to have a Paw Paw seedling if you have any left because I have only one tree now. I am really excited about seeing everyone again Saturday.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Whoa! Lorabell, I was trying to find something in my seed colleection that you might not have. I have a little salsify.

• K
    9 years ago

Ralph, I can't wait to see the Raspberry Wine!

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

The way our weather is going I may need some raspberry wine just to get through the month...or maybe I should whine about my raspberries!

(and I actually LIKE cold weather!!! but not while things are in full bloom)

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a reminder, Food List for the swap has been posted on the exchange page.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Lisi
    No worries. No need for a trade..just take what you can use and I'll throw the rest in the general swap

Ralph, I spent the winter propagating those wonderful salvias I received from you last spring...I've extra hot lips if yours didn't mKe it. I've also a few special cherry tomatoes and sweet peppers for your school garden if you can use. The husband managed to kill the eggplants and most of my reg tomatoes in 4 short days. He has the opposite of a green thumb...the death thumb!

• tamelask
    9 years ago

ralph, you get the last paw paw. :) i wouldn't say no to dwarf mondo. i just stuck cuttings of san carlos. hoping to make it out to your plant sale in may(?), so if yours doesn't show by then i can bring you some pots. i hear you on wishing for more time!!

country girl, begonias noted. i know which one the oval one is; most likely beefsteak or lettuce leaf, but the speckled one could be one of about 3. i'll bring an assortment.

lisianthus, sounds great!

• Hollyclyff
    9 years ago

Judy, I only have yellow and a small amount of white epi.
    Tammy, my ironweed is not up yet, but if you want I'd be happy to dig a clump around a dead stalk from last year. It should still be a set of live roots in there. Just no leaves yet.

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dana, for the info on your epi. I have the yellow, possibly, I got it from you in the past. Anything out of my garden that you need?

• mad_about_mickey
    9 years ago

I am late to find this thread. hope not to late. I have no seedlings this year, too cold
    I have to trade ;
    5 azaleas that I dug and repotted (were purchased and planted years ago, were nice til neighbor put up a fence.) Pink

2 Camelias, also pink . (see above) and deer always eat them, repotted yesterday. look good.

1- 3 ft tall forsythia . dug and potted in fall. survived winter staked. is bare root wrapped in paper towels. Trunk is over 1 1/2 inch diameter.

grape hyacinths

I am looking for:
    red hot poker

tomato plant seedlings

pepper plant seedlings.

Tammy if you have a piece of the drunkards dream I will see what I have otherwise.

I also have a set of homemade rain barrels that hook together to fill in succession, will not be bringing them , but let me know if interested. They may not be pretty, but they work great. All have either a lid and screen or a screen.
    and the fittings for hoses and an overflow tube on last one in row.
    Does anyone have any angels trumpets that are not the usual yellow?
    Or anything for filling shade and another area morning sun to fill.

I do have a bunch of pink Christmas cactus , some yellow, white and salmon. And lots of Mother of Thousands, potted up by threes to a 6 oz cup. Great for baby shower favors.

I have regular green or a few red hens and chicks. green ones are large. Red ones are 2-3 inches.JDBHEARTEASE if interested for ostrich fern??
    Thanks in advance. hope weather is nice !!

• tamelask
    9 years ago

dana, sure, but if you don't find any roots, no worries. we can do it later or in fall.

mad@mickey- i'm happy to get you a good chunk of drunkard's dream. i'd be thrilled to get some hen & chicks, both colors; i've been wanting them for a while. what else could i bring you? i'm bringing a few green grape cherry tomatoes- want one of those? I'll look and see if i have any others that i have enough extras to share. our community garden could use the rain barrels! we can talk about it at the swap if you're interested in that. we always have water issues out there since we don't have electric or a well.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Mad about mickey- hello! I have a red hot poker for you. Do you have a photo of your rain barrel? I have 2 areas that need them. I know Tammy asked first about it. Maybe you could share your design with me? I will give a pink azalea a go. Lol, my neighbor put up a BIG white fence and I need some color from ALL THE WHITE. Or maybe a red hen and chicks.

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Attention Gardeners! The weather is going to flat out suck tomorrow. I doubt I can change the date with the park service soooooo I will be there at the scheduled time but for those of you driving a great distance I would rather not be the reason you are on the road. I will try and get a new date in May, or maybe June just to be safe - maybe winter will be over by then!!!

I will be at the shelter and I will bring some plants but I wasn't hoping to take anything home (famous last words) so if you want to come splash around in the puddles feel free to spend the afternoon in Garner.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

A little confused...
    So is the exchange officially postponed and a new date will be announced

Or will this exchange still take place come rain and cold and a second exchange later will also be held?

Drat .. Ok, I'm still coming from Fayetteville. Please special exchange people let me know if you will be there
    so I can bring the correct plants for everyone.
    Laura

• Judy Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John - Thanks for being considerate about us out of town swappers. I had planned on coming regardless of the weather. Since I live in W-S, what the weather forecast for you guys?

mad@mickey If you still have both colors of the chick and hens, especially the red, available I would like some. I can bring you a couple of bare root ostrich fern for those.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

I will be there. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Thank you Casalester.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Rereading my post I realized it didn't reflect the smile I had on my face while writing it at the possibility of a second exchange! Didn't intend to sound gruff,
    ...back outside for me to play in the dirt.....

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

Laura, I definitely will be at the swap tomorrow. It may be June before I can get my act together with rooted cuttings and seed starting I have planned. And I still cannot tell whether some things are lost or just slow coming out. As you can tell, I would definitely welcome a second swap, the later the better.

• K
    9 years ago

John, thanks for all your efforts! I hope you will be able to schedule another swap for May or June.

I will stay in Greensboro tomorrow.
    Tammy, I will hold on to your lambs' ears, thornless blackberries, and thyme until a later date.
    Judy, ditto for your thyme, and Ralph, for your Chinese chives.

If you can, Judy, please hang on to the red lobelia and, Ralph, the monarda, and I will get them at the rescheduled swap. Or, if I get a chance to come to either W-S or Raleigh before then, I can see if I can meet with you to make the individual swaps. If you have no place to keep them, I understand.

Tammy, I am still interested in your coral honeysuckle cuttings. If you haven't already made them, maybe you could wait until the next swap?

Sorry to back out. Some bug has got hold of me.

Kat

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

The swap will go on rain or shine but I am not expecting as many people to brave the weather. There really isn't any way to cancel, too many swappers are not active on Garden Web so they will never see the notice. The shelter is rented for the afternoon so some of us will be there and I will try and organize a summer swap for all the people that can't attend.

Judy they are calling for cold rain and wind all day. Lets hope all that craziness happens early in the morning and leaves us alone.

• chas045
    9 years ago

John, I'm not sure why I was even reading this thread since I wasn't planning to come, BUT what are 'you all' worried about. l just checked weather for Garner and it is similar to my weather in Pittsboro. By two in the afternoon, showers or light rain is rated at 40%. That usually means it won't rain. I also see that wind chill is at 3 degrees which means nice day. A cloudy day is great for plants in cars. Gardeners aren't wimps....are they?

• mad_about_mickey
    9 years ago

Ok...Late again... I will be there
    For Tammy I have red and green hens and chicks for a piece of drunkards dream
    For JDBHEARTEASE hens and chicks -red preferred for ostrich ferns
    for lisanthus lover a pink azalea for redhot poker..I will definitely share my design with you anyway. It is here on gw somewhere...
    thanks all

9 years ago

And I came to Raleigh yesterday, so I'm going to be there. It won't be the first time I've stood in the pouring rain looking at plants! ....or the last! LOL

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I think it is all the hauling plants in and out of the vehicles that makes bad weather scare folks. The shelter can hold us if it really starts to pour. Maybe we need to offer up some sort of sacrifice to get summer on its way.

• tamelask
    9 years ago

carolina kate, i hadn't done the cuttings yet but will try to stick some in the next week or so for you so that if we have a later one i may have something rooted for you! and if not, it'll only be about 6 weeks or so til seeds.... hope you feel better soon!

crossing fingers it gets all the wind and the worst of the rain out of its system, at least during our active times. sure will make things easier for all of us!

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

April showers bring May flowers...lol

9 years ago

And I came to Raleigh yesterday, so I'm going to be there. It won't be the first time I've stood in the pouring rain looking at plants! ....or the last! LOL

9 years ago

Sorry. I was trying bookmark this page and posted again!

9 years ago

Tammy, I brought you a cutting from a begonia that I bought at the Elizabethan Garden in the outer banks. Hoping you don't already have it. It is begonia withacoochee. It has delicate looking blooms, says it is a trailing begonia

• tamelask
    9 years ago

countrygirl- nope, don't have that and it sounds delightful! Thanks SO much!

• jbarutis
    9 years ago

I will be at the swap today. A little rain can't keep me away! I know several people who are coming & haven't posted here.

Judy, I have a large red cascade rose for you. If you see this post in time, I'll take a Siberian iris or phlox (no worries if you don't).

• K
    9 years ago

Thanks, Tammy. I sometimes come to the Raleigh area and I could bring your plants that way if I was coming. We could meet somewhere convenient for you if I did. I noticed you don't have email enabled on Garden Web. Do you check this forum often enough that I could let you know by posting to you here?