Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strom_gw

where to buy sweet potato slips in SC midlands

strom
12 years ago

I have recently moved to the Columbia, SC area and cannot find any place that carries sweet potato slips! If anyone can refer me to any place within an hour's drive, I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• whatsup
    12 years ago

Try Consumer Feed & Seed, Lexington.S C 803-3594275 or Roger Winn, Little Mountain, S C 903 9454519. You may be a tad early for them.

• whatsup
    12 years ago

Just remembered your post. I saw this on craigslist today. Hopkins, SC is about
    10 or 12 miles east of Columbia

Sweet Potato Slips Available - $10 (Hopkins)

Date: 2012-04-22, 10:35AM EDT
    Reply to: 5wsps-2965495499@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Sweet potato slips available - bunches of 25: $10 each

5 varieties, all vining types:

Beauregard: Developed at Louisiana State University. Has a copper skin, moderately deep orange flesh, and is consistent in shape. Tolerant to soil pox. Outyields all other sweet potatoes.
    Georgia Jet: Remarkable hardiness. Has rose petal skin that truly stands out in the field. Light orange meat. Excellent baker. Matures in 80-90 days with normal rainfall.
    White Triumph: White skin and snow-white meat; smooth outside shaped nicely. Cooks very well. 90-120 days maturity.
    Centennial: Been around a long time. Orange, smooth skin, yields heavy in a normal year. Good grade of potatoes. Also has tolerance to fusarium wilt and internal cork. Stores well.
    Nancy Hall: Grandpa's favorite. An old standby. Has pale flesh, cream/orange inside. Delicious after being cured in storage. Sweet and tasty . White milk flows after slicing open. A real old time favorite. Normal maturity around 110 days.

Planting information:
    Sweet potatoes don't need much fertilizer or water; they do very well in a sandy loam soil.
    Set the plants 12 to 18 inches apart, preferably on a wide, raised ridge about 8 inches high. Because the vines of spreading varieties need a great deal of space, allow at least 3 to 4 feet between rows.
    After early cultivation, sweet potatoes need minimal care to keep down weeds. Irrigate if an extended drought occurs. Do not water during the last 3 to 4 weeks before harvest to protect the developing roots.
    Dig the main crop of sweet potatoes around the time of the first frost in the fall. Use a spading fork or stout shovel and be careful not to bruise, cut or otherwise damage the roots.
    Ideally, the roots should be allowed to dry on the ground for 2 to 3 hours, then placed in a warm room for curing (85�F and 85 percent humidity (if possible) for 10 to 14 days and then stored in a cool (55�F) location. Sweet potatoes should be handled as little as possible to avoid scuffing and bruising.
    it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 2965495499