Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_owens9081478

where are you? NC

Tammy Owens
17 years ago

A while back there was a thread where everyone stated where they lived. Since it's been a while I thought we might do that again since we have newbies here. I will start.

Tammy- High Point NC

Comments (150)

• zigzag
    16 years ago

Another South Shore of MA refugee here (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Ammandalee & Susandonb, I put in my time in Duxbury, Plymouth and the Hingham/Hull/Cohasset area. Another regular here, Quirkpod, is also from our old areas ..... is there anybody left up there?

To Gborosteve - hiya, neighbor! Are you in Falls River? Yes, Homewood is one of my biggest vices - keep meaning to check out a few others in the area, but Homewood is just all toooo convenient. There are quite a few of us nearby in this rapidly (read rampant tree killing ..... sorry, I digress) north of 540 developing part of N.Raleigh ..... I really need to go thru this whole thread to find 'em all, but Lazygardner-nc comes to mind, among others. Maybe we can zero in on 'meet-greet-garden gawk' casual get-togethers without having to take out second mortgages to fill our gas tanks!

• susandonb
    16 years ago

Zigzag, Plymouth is my most favorite place in the whole world.

I have always wanted to live there, but I may as well have for the number of times I have been there.

Nice meeting you all.
    Susan

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

I'm in Kure Beach, about 15 miles South of Wilmington. It's a wonderful little island called Pleasure Island.
    I work at a local nursery and own an eco-tourism business.
    My gardens are pretty much packed right now, so I'm getting into vines - they can grow up my trees! I also like daturas, brugs, tropical hibiscus, ferns, etc, etc, etc.....
    Barb

• tooslim
    16 years ago

I'm South Charlotte (near South Meck High), previously Atlanta GA, Chandler AZ, and Central NJ....having to learn new plants/gardening where ever I go...

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I'm in Raleigh, but up toward WF and Rolesville.

I've lived here 25 years, but before that I grew up in Wisconin.

DH moved here even before that from South Bend, IN. I saw somebody else from there.

I'm filling up my yard with ornamental plants, and now starting to work on my MIL's yard in Wilmington, LOL.

• lhendri479
    16 years ago

I live in Hendersonville, NC - just south of Asheville. Originally from Connecticut - then Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, etc, etc and now here. Love it!! Gardening all the way around the US - LOL

• zigzag
    16 years ago

waving to lazygardener! .... hi ya, neighbor! Your area, right around the dam, has always intrigued me (but rubbernecking on that stretch of Falls of Neuse is a sure invite to disaster!)

It's the old homesteads such as you describe that are the most interesting, so don't be shy - post on the map (on another thread here). We've got a tentative 'seek n' peek' day on for later this month - join in!

• zigzag
    16 years ago

oops, above message is on the wrong thread - ? how to delete?

• hsummer
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm Hope and I live in Matthews, NC, which is basically Charlotte. I grew up in Conway, SC, which is about 3 hours away - near Myrtle Beach. I've been gardening for about 3-4 years and I am addicted. A neighbor turned me on to it. I first planted some begonias in a pot, and now I'm out of control, trying to plant every inch of my yard. I've totally gone bananas with roses! I found gardenweb about a year ago, and have just been lurking, learning, and laughing. Some of the posts make me cry with laughter. I jump on several times a day. My DH just looks at me and shakes his head. Actually he's glad I finally have a hobby, so he can better justify some of his purchases. Ha. Ha.

• jyhsmom
    16 years ago

Hey, I'm Dawn. Born in California but moved to NC when I was 13. Came to Raleigh to go to NC State & stuck. Coincidentally - roomed with Roberta_NC when we got out of college. (Didn't know she was a Gardenwebber until I saw this thread!)

My parents were huge gardeners, mostly veggies. I've been busy growing kids for the past 20 years & now they are starting to fly the nest I have time to spend in the garden instead of the kitchen! My yard is too shady to grow veggies so I'm slowly learning how to grow shade plants instead of sun-lovers.

Just found the Gardenweb website about a month and a half ago & have become addicted!

• puddle_of_mud
    16 years ago

My name is Cami, and I live in Kernersville. We moved here from Florida. I have lived in many places around the world with the Air Force. I LOVE calling K'ville home, and have been here nearly a dozen years now. WHOOOHOOO

• shellva
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm in Camden, NC which is right next to Elizabeth City. Been here for 4 years come November.

Hubby is soon to retire from the Navy. We lived in Portsmouth, VA for 9 years then in Memphis for a little over 3. When he got transfered back to the Norfolk area we decided to put our retirement roots down here in NC. (Hubby has traced his heritage roots back to the early 1800's to the Conway/Rich Square area so he was gung ho to settle in NC somewhere.) He commutes a little over an hour each day up to VA but only for a few more months!

I have about 1/2 an acre of property to garden on. I love antique roses and just about anything else that will attract hummers, butterflies and beneficials. I'm also trying to get the whole veggie gardening thing down which so far has eluded me. I can grow a flower but the edibles are still very iffy.

Catherine-garden appears to be the closest poster to me. Feel free to drop me an email if you want to!

Michelle

• dottie_in_charlotte
    16 years ago

Hi Hope (hsummer), I have a house in Matthews off Sardis and now live in Weddington.
    The thing I loved about Matthews is it is a microclimate and well protected from the worst of storms (unless you're on the Mint Hill side of Matthews)

• gypsy_rosalee
    16 years ago

Hey there! I'm a newbie, just joined yesterday. I live in a little town called Harmony, just outside of Statesville. I am growing my first garden this year. I've always worked in family gardens but this one is all mine! YEA!

• hjkarns
    16 years ago

Roanoke Rapids, NC in Halifax County, by way of Buffalo, NY. I lived in Buffalo most of my life we moved here almost 2 years ago. I gardened there but nothing like it is here! So many plants grow without coaxing! I love it!

• budgiegarden
    16 years ago

I'm also a native North Carolinian. :) I'm originally from Greenville, NC and then moved to Raleigh for college and stayed in the area. Now I'm in Holly Springs. I was spoiled in Greenville. We had nice loam and now I have this yucky clay. The gardening bug bit me hard after college and I've been addicted ever since! Whenever my toddler son takes a nap, I venture out and try to get some gardening done!

• flowerpowernc
    16 years ago

Hi All --- I'm in Greenville, NC and agree with budgiegarden, we have pretty nice soil here, just a bit sandy in places. I was in Atlanta last weekend and was very thankful I don't have to garden in all of that red clay.

• haliwa01
    16 years ago

Hello to everyone,

I am a born and bred NC native. My roots in NC go back before discovery of the new world. Currently living in the Garner/Clayton area (40/42 area of Johnston Co). Originally from a small town called Hollister which is about half way between Rocky Mount and Roanoke Rapids. I have lived here most of my life but I have also lived in Washington DC, Laurel MD and Arlington TX. I grew up on a farm where my parents always had a big garden filled with delicious vegetable and fruits.

I wish it would rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hope you'll have a good day.

Haliwa01 (Charles)

• suetran1
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm Sue, new since May-08. I live in Cary, Vietnamese native, French Canadian, maybe become US citizen next year! after 21 years living in Montreal, I followed my husband to US, we have no kids. Love photograph, dogs, cats, crystal, gems, plants, anything that I can grow in NC. I have a 15 years old beagle ( he can speaking french too!!), 15 years old cat, a medium size garden, a small greenhouse with all kind of plants, tropical plants, mostly is orchids. In garden, I have banana Musso, Asian pear, persimmon, figs, nectarine, rose, pomegranate. gardenia, angel trumpet, lotus etc..I'm very please to know and have friends with who I can share my hobbies. Please visit my member page. I'm also have a few plants for trade in hoya and orchid forum.
    Nice to know ya all.
    Sue

• coorscat
    15 years ago

I spend part of my time in Swain County, closet "town" is Whittier, I am in the Western mountains at about 3200 feet. When not there I am in western Broward County, Florida. So I garden in the hills of NC and the edge of the Everglades. Boy what a difference! Lived most of my life in Texas, so most of my gardening experience is from the sandy coast soils of South Texas and the rich acidic soils of East Texas. There is no soil in South Florida....I had to have it all trucked in! Gardening in NC has been a challenge because there are so many plants I have only read about but never seen. So far I am loving it and read the postings here for good general advice although there aren't many of us this far west in the mountains.

• tripsleb
    15 years ago

Hi all, another born & breed NC native here. Live in Salisbury, NC in Rowan County (in the county) been gardening mainly veggie gardens for around 5 years, getting into other flowers, herbs, trees, and shrubs, too.

• TerriBuck
    15 years ago

I'm just south of Carrboro/Chapel Hill. Lovely rainy day--don't remember when we had the last one.

• doc_dot
    15 years ago

Summer and fall in the GORGEOUS NC mtns.
    with winters in FL.
    It has been wonderfully cool up here.
    Fireworks for the July 4th doings (held on Sat, the 5th) were almost rained out. The clouds parted, and the partying took place outside afterall.

• woodyandherbaceous
    15 years ago

In Clemmons, NC here. Grew up in High Point and followed my dh all over the US while he was in the service. Now we are back home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woody and Herbaceous

• kimnc7
    15 years ago

Hello, here is another newbie who is very appreciative of the help I find here. I grew up in MA, spent 12 years in Chicago, and now live in Winston and am loving the long growing season and short winter! We have a teensy-tiny yard, but have managed to fill it with a good number of veggies and flowers.

• teeball
    13 years ago

Maple lover here. Recent transplant (retired ) from NYC to Clayton. Its great here in North Carolina.
    And YES I'm familiar with C.A.R.Y.
    Tom

• a_fairview_from_here
    13 years ago

Fairview, NC in Buncombe County in Western NC.

• nan_nc
    13 years ago

Penrose, NC. A very tiny dot on the map near a slightly larger dart which is Brevard. Lived in Oregon's Willamette Valley until 1986, came here and met the love of my life and don't see ever leaving. I try hard to call our hills mountains after living in the shadow of the Cascades.

• busyblonde
    13 years ago

Bessemer City, NC for the last 6 years. Very few have ever heard of it - west of Gastonia, which is west of Charlotte. Every year my garden seems to grow, and I try to learn a bit more!

• sharpsburger
    13 years ago

Kirk here in Sharpsburg. It's on Hwy 301 between Rocky Mount and Wilson.

• zone8_gardener
    13 years ago

Columbia South Carolina

• jolj
    13 years ago

I am in Columbia, S.C & have a farm in Lugoff,S.C. North of Columbia about 15-20 miles.

• aezarien
    13 years ago

Busyblonde - I'm in Shelby but had a friend who lived in Bessemer City. We used to go to the drive in over there all the time.

• stoutmaster77
    13 years ago

Jolj, my folks have a house at Wateree, so I've been to Lugoff for many a Walmart run! Born and raised in Clt been in Durham for 7yrs.
    Slainte!

• jmc1961
    13 years ago

Mike in Asheville, lived on west coast of Florida for 40 yrs
    have been in NC 4 yrs now.

• nugardnrinnc
    13 years ago

This an old post but I'll add my two cents.Sapphire NC here, other end of Transylvania Co. from nan a few posts back. In the mountains away from civilization with the rednecks and hillbillys(of which I guess I am one)and low and behold.....surrounded by golf courses. You pass about 7 of them on a curvy twisty drive of about 20 miles. Go figure. But believe it or not as small as we are we are quite well known with Lake Toxaway, Cashiers, and Highlands all close by, rich people have their private homes all over these mountains. Hey I can't complain they keep me busy! And I love this place. Could never stand the city anyway. I love sittin in the yard and seeing trees and my plants without being surrounded by houses, and hearing nature at least when concrete and quarry trucks aren't roaring down the highway. Its normally quiet enough to hear them from a mile away or more!

• Paul Folse
    13 years ago

Wife and I are originally from New Orleans, now live in Mars Hill, just north of Asheville,NC.

• perenniallybroke
    13 years ago

I garden in Clayton. My passion is perennials.

• jilliebean9700
    13 years ago

i am originally from long island NY have lived here for 5yrs and i love it. my dad's family is all from greensboro, but i moved to mooresville-just north of charlotte.

• nanapam02
    12 years ago

Am a NC Native and my hubby is from a little town outside of Baton Rouge. We live south of Raleigh near Fuquay Varina and not far from Garner. Love gardening in the shade. Have lots of Hellebores Can't imagine living anywhere else.

• linda_jo
    12 years ago

Hello! I garden in Garner, recently made famous by Scotty McCreary! Hey Fuquay and Clayton neighbors! For those near Ashville, do you go on those native wildflower walks?You just can't beat the long growing season in the Carolinas.

• nnooiixx
    12 years ago

I'm in the University City area of Charlotte (northeast of the city). Like many other Charlotteans, I'm a transplant. My husband and I moved here from Boston in 2006. I was so happy to see there was a forum dedicated to Carolina gardeners!

• mhall1
    12 years ago

I live in Fayetteville, NC. Been a NC girl most of my life. Raised in the country in Wayne County, you'd think I'd know more about gardening! LOL
    ~Michelle

• woodsworm
    12 years ago

I'm in northern Alamance County, near Elon, for more than half my life, but I'm "from" Jawja.

• star_stuff
    12 years ago

I live in a beautiful 160-year-old home in historic Warrenton, NC, an hour north of Raleigh. It's a Greek Revival & Italianate southern antebellum home by renowned architect Jacob Holt. I cherish every inch inside and out! The grounds are covered with enormous oaks and pecans.

I'm originally from northern Virginia/Maryland (DC, Stafford, Quantico). I lived most of my life in Havelock, NC and New Bern, NC. Spent alot of time at the beach. Then I moved to the city ~ Greensboro, NC for eight years. Great thread!

Caroline

• thisbetty
    12 years ago

Right in NC's center - Lee County, Sanford. I was raised here and love it. Area nurseries and big box stores (unheard of in my long ago youth) were the answer to my gardeners wish. I once had mostly shade but 2 hurricanes remedied that.
    I love reading posts, but except for questions like this, I rarely have an answer. Good luck to all in this summers' dry heat.

• bpstrick
    12 years ago

I live in Durham, but I'm about to move to Snow Camp

• jedijoe1
    12 years ago

Originally from Michigan but have lived in Hickory for just under 20 yrs. My wife and I bought a new house with an acre 3 years ago and have planted some 400 trees, shrubs and perennials so my yard is starting to look like a nursery. My passion is conifers and unique perennials. Wife thinks I have an affliction and I�m starting to agree.

• lumpkat
    12 years ago

My name is Lee and I live in Morehead City (Carteret County).

• gardenjane49
    12 years ago

Hi, my name is Jane. I just joined, but I've been lurking for a few months. Hubby and I grew up in Elizabeth City. We are now home again in NC after being away for 40 years. We live in Cary and love being back in NC. I have some sun but mostly shade to garden in.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH