Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cimbing Rose Blaze

Posted by nirenjoshi 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 10:59

Any one grow the climbing red rose - Blaze? How does it perform? Does it rebloom? What about disease?
I bought one in a bag from Walmart on impulse on reading on its label that it is vigorous and reblooms. I know it may be mislabeled, but I took a chance. I have it in a large pot at the moment, but if it is a good choice, I would like to plant it in the ground in the front of the house. Thanks for any opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cimbing Rose Blaze

nirenjoshi, if what you picked is Blaze Improved you chose a very carefree long lived, long blooming rose.
It' wants support because these canes can get to 15' (up and over a porch/pergola).
Do you have a structure it can climb and hold onto?
A standard wall arbor isn't enough for Blaze.

You'll still need to trim it annually when it matures so think about placement as the key element.
It is vigorous for certain but nothing is carefree in the first few years when it's more important the roots grow than the flowers bloom.
You may get both but limit the blooms and bud production in the first year or two.
If it is happy and well supported (like a wife) it will be with you for generations.

o

The label on the bag only said Blaze, so I am not sure if its Blaze improved. I can keep up with the trimming and I was thinking of using one of those wall trellis kits ( see link).
I have a New Dawn rose in a pot which is now 2 years old and I was thinking of putting New Dawn on one side and the Blaze on the other side of the garage door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Trellis Kit

o

google Blaze rose and you'll get lots of photos to see how huge this rose wants to be.

o

Your wall trellis will work with mid sized climbers like Peace but what I'm trying to say is that Blaze is a champion grower. Very long canes and lots of blooms that need support. Up against a wall, it will grow and branch out away from the open side.
look at the google photos of blaze.

o

One other thing. Roses require at least 6 hours of sun or they will not bloom as much or not bloom at all. I haven't had Blaze so don't know if it likes the shade (a few roses do). Roses are hardier than most people think - if not I would not have almost 100 of them. beware of the Walmart roses as many of them are mislabeled BUT that doesn't stop me from buying them every now and then. I guess that was two things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here