Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nchomegarden

Cimbing Rose Blaze

nchomegarden
11 years ago

Any one grow the climbing red rose - Blaze? How does it perform? Does it rebloom? What about disease?
I bought one in a bag from Walmart on impulse on reading on its label that it is vigorous and reblooms. I know it may be mislabeled, but I took a chance. I have it in a large pot at the moment, but if it is a good choice, I would like to plant it in the ground in the front of the house. Thanks for any opinions.

Comments (6)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

nirenjoshi, if what you picked is Blaze Improved you chose a very carefree long lived, long blooming rose.
    It' wants support because these canes can get to 15' (up and over a porch/pergola).
    Do you have a structure it can climb and hold onto?
    A standard wall arbor isn't enough for Blaze.

You'll still need to trim it annually when it matures so think about placement as the key element.
    It is vigorous for certain but nothing is carefree in the first few years when it's more important the roots grow than the flowers bloom.
    You may get both but limit the blooms and bud production in the first year or two.
    If it is happy and well supported (like a wife) it will be with you for generations.

• nchomegarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The label on the bag only said Blaze, so I am not sure if its Blaze improved. I can keep up with the trimming and I was thinking of using one of those wall trellis kits ( see link).
    I have a New Dawn rose in a pot which is now 2 years old and I was thinking of putting New Dawn on one side and the Blaze on the other side of the garage door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Trellis Kit

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

google Blaze rose and you'll get lots of photos to see how huge this rose wants to be.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Your wall trellis will work with mid sized climbers like Peace but what I'm trying to say is that Blaze is a champion grower. Very long canes and lots of blooms that need support. Up against a wall, it will grow and branch out away from the open side.
    look at the google photos of blaze.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    10 years ago

One other thing. Roses require at least 6 hours of sun or they will not bloom as much or not bloom at all. I haven't had Blaze so don't know if it likes the shade (a few roses do). Roses are hardier than most people think - if not I would not have almost 100 of them. beware of the Walmart roses as many of them are mislabeled BUT that doesn't stop me from buying them every now and then. I guess that was two things.

• Karen F
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I live in Ontario, Canada and I also bought a blaze. Only mine was from the local garden centre near me. It had blooms on it when I first got it and then I covered it up with burlap. Amazingly it survived the winter and it grew to the top of the fence but no blooms on it, I had a trellis but it outgrew that. Again I covered it up. and again it survived the winter. These 2 ladies that live in my building took over doing the gardening out the back and along the fence. They pruned my blaze rose and the thing went haywire. In fact it went crazy with buds on it. I was amazed beyond belief at seeing them. Not just 3 or 4 but about 20 or more on it. Now as I type this 3 of them are out in bloom with more on the way!!! I can see them out my bedroom window or my living room one. So pretty!!! So do they only bloom the once and that is it for this year right??? No more until next year? I did away with the trellis so it is near the fence-wooden type so should this woman and I just use string for it to climb along or should I order a higher and wider trellis from Walmart for it. If we have to prune it every year. I saw one at their garden centre but there was no way I could have brought it home with me as I take public transit and don't drive. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County