Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last Spring exchange treasures

Posted by Lorabell 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 11:07

One of the very interesting plants I received last Spring, I believe. Any help in IDing it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last Spring exchange treasures

Another treasure. A tiny little Iris growing really close to the ground.....

o

Lily of the Valley,,,, beautiful.

o

Lorabell, I recognize the iris because mine is blooming now too. It is an Iris Cristata. My notes say it is a native dwarf. Can't help with the other one

o

Crimson clover

o

Thanks so much for the id's!

o

Received in general exchange, from John I believe, so very delicious, taste between a blackberry and raspberry.....

What am I?

o

Raspberry wine bee balm. absolutely stunning. Ralph. just had to throw you a thank you for this one.

o

An iris, I think, just blooming now. Small flower, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches across.

Name me?

o

Ok, I thought this was an eggplant until the leaves got spikes, I'm talking about thorns sharper than rose bushes, drew blood the first time I touched it.

Help?

o

Received last year Spring exchange, purple foliage plant in front. Propagated all over the place this Spring....

Name me please?

o

Regular double ditch lilies? I think? Or do they have a more refined name?

o

The Blackberry/Raspberry plants were sold to me as 'Cumberland' Black Raspberry but every single berry expert at NC State that has seen them says they are just some sort of Blackberry and that they are definitely NOT Cumberland. They do bloom later, handle the bugs and climate differently and ripen fruit later than my regular Blackberrys but they taste about the same (I also taste a bit of Raspberry in them but no most tasters dont).

The pokey leaved plant is Naranjilla or 'Bed of Nails', It is an eggplant relative. Solanum quitoense. The fruit are edible when they are a dark orange and the fuzz will rub off easily. They can be as sour as a lemon though. Most folks blend them with sugar and other juice (like orange juice) rather than eat them plain.

The purple leaved mint relative is Purple Shiso or Perilla. It is a common herb (there's a green leaved form out there too) most often used as a food coloring.

The orange polka dotted iris relative is a Candy Lily or Blackberry lily. Belamcanda chinensis

There is a name for the old timey double day lilies and it is something like Kwansa, but I forget what it really is... someone will know (Dana? daylily queen???)

o

John, thanks so much. Naranjilla .... Boy, do I learn something new everyday in my gardening adventure!

Those rasp...blackberries have done so well. Had them last night again dipped in chocolate....better than any regular blackberries I've ever had. Yummmm.

This post was edited by Lorabell on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 18:02

o

I like the fact that they ripen a week or so later than my regular blackberries - extends the season.

I went through a phase where I collected all sorts of Solanums - the eggplant family. I was experimenting with which ones did well here and which ones tasted good. Naranjila was the showiest but doesn't have the best flavor of the group. They do best in part shade and like to be watered. Fruits are often ripe just before our first frost.

o

The daylily is called Kwanso.

o

Tammy, SUCCESS! I made babies from the begonia leaves from this Spring.

I went ahead and moved the Naranjilla to a semi shade area....they took the transfer well.

I've two more flowers that have surprised me, I thought they were regular gladiolus based on the plant, but not so........

o

The first has scarlet red flowers, orangeish yellow throats, small, about an inch....

o

The second has orange, 3/4 inch flowers although I "might have" distressed the plant (had the plant near our airconditioner and didn't see the damage from the hot air plowing on it till I noticed the burnt leaves.....did I freak or what! So it is in a temporary pot...and recovering nicely.)

Happy 4th of July to everyone......it should be a beautiful weekend for gardening!

o

Those two might be Crocosmia. Which may or may not be a type of gladiola. I only grow the 'Lucifer' solid red one. I'm amazed at how invasive regular ol' florist glads are. I planted some and now I have tons of them all over the garden. They pop up everywhere and usually get big enough to bloom in their first year. I'm not complaining because most of them are beautiful - I just never knew them to be so weedy.

o

Thanks again for the ID.

My glads have given me pods for the first time ever. Some flower stocks have 8-10 pods on each....crazy... I'm in propagation heaven.... Even though they spread like crazy I just can't resist the urge to see what types of babies they will make.

My sis just transfered to Charlotte this week and stopped by.....Living in zone 3-4 seriously limits. I was reminded how lucky we are here in this growing area as I am planning what will go next in the Fall garden. Eggplants, peppers, okra, all not feasible back home. So many flowers, only can read about. Ja, it was pretty fun showing my older sister around the garden....ha

And of course the awesomeness varieties from the plant exchange didn't hurt!

o

Lorabell,
So good to see all of the treasures you've got at the plant swap. With the cool weather, we've been having these last couple of days, I'm beginning to looking forward to the next plant swap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here