Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabell_gw

Last Spring exchange treasures

lorabell_gw
9 years ago

One of the very interesting plants I received last Spring, I believe. Any help in IDing it?

Comments (30)

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily of the Valley,,,, beautiful.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

Lorabell, I recognize the iris because mine is blooming now too. It is an Iris Cristata. My notes say it is a native dwarf. Can't help with the other one

• dottie_in_charlotte
    9 years ago

Crimson clover

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the id's!

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Received in general exchange, from John I believe, so very delicious, taste between a blackberry and raspberry.....

What am I?

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Raspberry wine bee balm. absolutely stunning. Ralph. just had to throw you a thank you for this one.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An iris, I think, just blooming now. Small flower, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches across.

Name me?

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I thought this was an eggplant until the leaves got spikes, I'm talking about thorns sharper than rose bushes, drew blood the first time I touched it.

Help?

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Received last year Spring exchange, purple foliage plant in front. Propagated all over the place this Spring....

Name me please?

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Regular double ditch lilies? I think? Or do they have a more refined name?

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

The Blackberry/Raspberry plants were sold to me as 'Cumberland' Black Raspberry but every single berry expert at NC State that has seen them says they are just some sort of Blackberry and that they are definitely NOT Cumberland. They do bloom later, handle the bugs and climate differently and ripen fruit later than my regular Blackberrys but they taste about the same (I also taste a bit of Raspberry in them but no most tasters dont).

The pokey leaved plant is Naranjilla or 'Bed of Nails', It is an eggplant relative. Solanum quitoense. The fruit are edible when they are a dark orange and the fuzz will rub off easily. They can be as sour as a lemon though. Most folks blend them with sugar and other juice (like orange juice) rather than eat them plain.

The purple leaved mint relative is Purple Shiso or Perilla. It is a common herb (there's a green leaved form out there too) most often used as a food coloring.

The orange polka dotted iris relative is a Candy Lily or Blackberry lily. Belamcanda chinensis

There is a name for the old timey double day lilies and it is something like Kwansa, but I forget what it really is... someone will know (Dana? daylily queen???)

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, thanks so much. Naranjilla .... Boy, do I learn something new everyday in my gardening adventure!

Those rasp...blackberries have done so well. Had them last night again dipped in chocolate....better than any regular blackberries I've ever had. Yummmm.

This post was edited by Lorabell on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 18:02

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I like the fact that they ripen a week or so later than my regular blackberries - extends the season.

I went through a phase where I collected all sorts of Solanums - the eggplant family. I was experimenting with which ones did well here and which ones tasted good. Naranjila was the showiest but doesn't have the best flavor of the group. They do best in part shade and like to be watered. Fruits are often ripe just before our first frost.

• Hollyclyff
    9 years ago

The daylily is called Kwanso.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tammy, SUCCESS! I made babies from the begonia leaves from this Spring.

I went ahead and moved the Naranjilla to a semi shade area....they took the transfer well.

I've two more flowers that have surprised me, I thought they were regular gladiolus based on the plant, but not so........

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first has scarlet red flowers, orangeish yellow throats, small, about an inch....

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The second has orange, 3/4 inch flowers although I "might have" distressed the plant (had the plant near our airconditioner and didn't see the damage from the hot air plowing on it till I noticed the burnt leaves.....did I freak or what! So it is in a temporary pot...and recovering nicely.)

Happy 4th of July to everyone......it should be a beautiful weekend for gardening!

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

Those two might be Crocosmia. Which may or may not be a type of gladiola. I only grow the 'Lucifer' solid red one. I'm amazed at how invasive regular ol' florist glads are. I planted some and now I have tons of them all over the garden. They pop up everywhere and usually get big enough to bloom in their first year. I'm not complaining because most of them are beautiful - I just never knew them to be so weedy.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the ID.

My glads have given me pods for the first time ever. Some flower stocks have 8-10 pods on each....crazy... I'm in propagation heaven.... Even though they spread like crazy I just can't resist the urge to see what types of babies they will make.

My sis just transfered to Charlotte this week and stopped by.....Living in zone 3-4 seriously limits. I was reminded how lucky we are here in this growing area as I am planning what will go next in the Fall garden. Eggplants, peppers, okra, all not feasible back home. So many flowers, only can read about. Ja, it was pretty fun showing my older sister around the garden....ha

And of course the awesomeness varieties from the plant exchange didn't hurt!

• Judy Brown
    9 years ago

Lorabell,
    So good to see all of the treasures you've got at the plant swap. With the cool weather, we've been having these last couple of days, I'm beginning to looking forward to the next plant swap.

• lisianthuslover
    9 years ago

Wow! Lorabell! Looks to me you should be hosting the next garden party. Lol. Your treasures have been a wonder to see this summer. Thanks for being such an addict. I think we all are. And thank you to everyone for taking the time to pot plants up to share. I am excited to see you soon at the next swap. And Lorabell, I have been saving egg cartons. Such a waste for me to put them in the "recycle" bin when YOU can actually recycle them for what they are used for. I have started rooting things in preparation so let us know when to mark it on our calendars John. Good to see you the other day at the arboretum. See you soon!

• trianglejohn
    9 years ago

I've booked the shelter online and I'm awaiting confirmation that the transaction worked. October 4th Saturday 2-4pm. I'll announce once I hear from them.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John, Awesome.

Kim ,yes, I'm the addict. Apparently I like taking Pics as well!

Speaking of eggs.... Who;s your Mama!

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple more unnamed plants received. Any ID would be greatly appreciated: A bush type. I just need to find out how big it will get to make sure I have in correct area.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The second was about 4 feet tall until the wind bent and broke many of the stems. It recovered and set up a bunch more...and just started blooming this week. Thought I knew what it was but the blooms aren't what I expected. Help.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A visitor.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hummingbird, butterfly garden

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's just pretty. Pink zinnia

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more, another new hobby.

And I've procrastinated long enough.....Off to work....thanks for looking and your patience.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!