Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Aquatic clay pellets?

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

Have any of you tried the aquatic soil/clay pellets? They are fantastic for rooting.

Comments (8)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Where do you get them? I actually could use some for my pond plants.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine are I think the Schultz brand from Lowes. Can prolly find it at any of the big box stores or somewhere like Wally World or hydropnics/pond places. I've rooted fushia, cactus and a few other things in it. Just watch that your pellets don't dry out too much in between waterings.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was just thinking it might work well as a top dressing too to keep gnats out of plants.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Rootdigger, haven't tried that but someone suggested akadama as a good rooting media for clematis that are difficult to root otherwise. I got some off of eBay. Care to share the technique that you used with the clay pellets?

Here is a link that might be useful: akadama link

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nck, no technique. I just poured some in a pot and stick the cutting in and watered it down. I think you could water this stuff every day and it wouldn't bother anything. I'm also using it to root some blueberry cuttings that I laid on their sides. So far, so good!

For something soft stemmed you might need to put the cutting in first and then fill in around it with the pellets. They'll be a lot easier to use dry as they stick to your fingers when wet.

The akadama link you posted looks pretty close to this. This is darker (like the akadama) when it's moist. Hard to tell from the pic, but the akadama 'might' be a tiny bit larger/coarser but that's the only difference I see visually. According to the bag it says........"100% Fuller's earth that has been kiln fired to create granules".

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. One thing I was unsure of was whether the media essentially soaked up the water and the cuttings were in a water vapor atmosphere or whether you added water until there was definite water around the pellets. Am planning on trying it later on in the season.

You can actually purchase the akadama in various sizes. I think I purchased the smaller size but I would have to check the bag to be certain.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hadn't really thought about it from that perspective, but must be water vapor because the media soaks up water and drains off any extra. It runs off really fast so soak it good and let the water keep running through the pot when watering and let it keep draining off. I guess you could also set it in a pan of water letting the pellets soak it in good before removing.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks Rootdigger. I was wondering if it should be done in a pot with drainage holes or in a pot with no holes. The one picture I saw of the pot used by someone to root clematis in akadama, it looked like they used a clear solid container that could have contained shredded parmesan cheese. Might have to try it both ways to see which works the best.