Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uh oh - 34 tonight - anyone else worried?

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 11:54

I guess I will have to go around and cover all of my blooming roses, gaillardia and emerging penstemons, amongst others...

I guess if it remains 34, nothing will happen but it's the fear of the dreaded "32" I am concerned about.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uh oh - 34 tonight - anyone else worried?

I usually don't see damage unless it gets down below 30. Most of what I grow can take a mild frost. I'm covering a few things and moving all the tropicals back into the hoop house.

o

I covered my blooming roses - took me quite a while to do it - and definitely my profusion zinnia seedlings, which are only about an inch and a half tall - I usually don't worry at 34 - but then again it could change overnight and that's my concern....

What a surprise this is after such a warm March and early April but still it isn't quite yet April 15th....

Thanks

Carrie

o

It's all my fault (LOL), I put out my one 'early' tomato yesterday and popped out the back window of my greenhouse. Just one of those things like when it rains after you wash your car! Not worried... I'll pop an upside down bucket on it and it'll be fine, it's in a warm spot anyway. Window can be put back in and the few plants I moved out will be put back in. Just glad I haven't planted all the other stuff! Seen this happen too many times!

o

Every year I warn my friends and neighbors not to plant until after tax day. I wait til the 15th, and then look at the 10 day forecast before I plant�..usually. Doh! This year I planted bean seeds last weekend, and they have sprouted. No problem, I can either cover them or just plant more. I planted my cucs, melons and squash early this week when the low was only supposed to get to 38. No problem, I covered them with row covers to exclude squash vine borers anyway. My big problem is all my hydrangeas, blueberries and strawberries are endangered. I'll be busy this evening putting the sheets on them all.

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

o

If my blooming roses are too big for the sheets to touch the ground, will covering the tops and sides still make a difference?

Has anyone used electric fans to keep frost off plants?

I will use upside down pots to cover my small stuff.

In our micro- climate area ,we are always 5-7 degrees colder than predicted so It will be an interesting night.

o

Only a light frost for me and it probably lasted 15-20 minutes right before the sun rose. I doubt it hurt anything.

o

• Posted by lsst SC zone 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 10:59

We had 3.5 hours at 30 degrees and a heavy frost.
I did cover my roses, hydrangeas and veggies.
The plants I did not cover are toast.:(

o

The frost and cold damage is worse than I expected.
The new growth on my fig, camellias, tea olives,azaleas dogwood, catalpas and crape myrtles are all fried.

o

I have some dead leaves on my crape myrtles and on grape vines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here