Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Uh oh - 34 tonight - anyone else worried?

carrie630
11 years ago

I guess I will have to go around and cover all of my blooming roses, gaillardia and emerging penstemons, amongst others...

I guess if it remains 34, nothing will happen but it's the fear of the dreaded "32" I am concerned about.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I usually don't see damage unless it gets down below 30. Most of what I grow can take a mild frost. I'm covering a few things and moving all the tropicals back into the hoop house.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I covered my blooming roses - took me quite a while to do it - and definitely my profusion zinnia seedlings, which are only about an inch and a half tall - I usually don't worry at 34 - but then again it could change overnight and that's my concern....

What a surprise this is after such a warm March and early April but still it isn't quite yet April 15th....

Thanks

Carrie

• rootdiggernc
    11 years ago

It's all my fault (LOL), I put out my one 'early' tomato yesterday and popped out the back window of my greenhouse. Just one of those things like when it rains after you wash your car! Not worried... I'll pop an upside down bucket on it and it'll be fine, it's in a warm spot anyway. Window can be put back in and the few plants I moved out will be put back in. Just glad I haven't planted all the other stuff! Seen this happen too many times!

• ncdirtdigger
    11 years ago

Every year I warn my friends and neighbors not to plant until after tax day. I wait til the 15th, and then look at the 10 day forecast before I plant�..usually. Doh! This year I planted bean seeds last weekend, and they have sprouted. No problem, I can either cover them or just plant more. I planted my cucs, melons and squash early this week when the low was only supposed to get to 38. No problem, I covered them with row covers to exclude squash vine borers anyway. My big problem is all my hydrangeas, blueberries and strawberries are endangered. I'll be busy this evening putting the sheets on them all.

http://agrowingcuriousity.blogspot.com/

• lsst
    11 years ago

If my blooming roses are too big for the sheets to touch the ground, will covering the tops and sides still make a difference?

Has anyone used electric fans to keep frost off plants?

I will use upside down pots to cover my small stuff.

In our micro- climate area ,we are always 5-7 degrees colder than predicted so It will be an interesting night.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

Only a light frost for me and it probably lasted 15-20 minutes right before the sun rose. I doubt it hurt anything.

• lsst
    11 years ago

We had 3.5 hours at 30 degrees and a heavy frost.
    I did cover my roses, hydrangeas and veggies.
    The plants I did not cover are toast.:(

• lsst
    11 years ago

The frost and cold damage is worse than I expected.
    The new growth on my fig, camellias, tea olives,azaleas dogwood, catalpas and crape myrtles are all fried.

• basil_davis2
    11 years ago

I have some dead leaves on my crape myrtles and on grape vines.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms