Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
safariofthemind

Where to Get Rescue Plants

safariofthemind
14 years ago

When folks in construction prepare a site, are they required or at least expected to salvage native plants in NC? Has any of you folks tried doing rescues?

Thinking of the woodland in the back (about 15,000 sq ft) of my property and that it could become a sanctuary for many little natives. Since it is fairly healthy at the moment and free of brambles and poison ivy (mostly) or kudzu, it could foster many smaller things that could then be given to other gardeners in the area later.

Thinking of ideas to foster sharing...

Comments (10)

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

I've only done this once, out at a site in RTP several years ago. I can't remember who organized that one, but I think many are sponsored through the NC Native Plant Society, which has a local Chapter in the Triangle. I don't know how the sites are chosen, but I don't think that developers are under any salvage requirements.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Join NCNPS- easiest way to stay on top of stuff like that. For $25 a yr it's a great deal. They send scouts out ahead on any major construction they find out about to see if there's anything worth saving, and work on getting permission. Once they have it, they let them members know the time & place to dig. They would never go in without explicit permission, and typically know when the construction will start, ect. They don't do anything drastic like try to delay construction or preach- they are simply there to rescue things in the path that would otherwise get destroyed. Any time i've gone on one, i've seen beautiful things, found unexpected stuff, often seen wildlife, and working with the others from ncnps, you learn a lot about native ID'ing in the process. Not everything will make it, but it's worth trying because it's a certain death sentence otherwise. They also do meetings with interesting field trips, tho i have to admit i've never gone on one.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

The one I went on I came home with sedges, Aesculus sylvatica, trout lilies, and hepatica. Now that area is a lake.

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

Definitely worth the membership. You have to email them that you have interest in rescues. Half my garden is from the swap and half from the rescues. It's also a good idea to keep an eye out for areas around you for signs of development and logging. Most people are very happy to give an individual permission to dig a few plants. Everytime I see a new strip mall going in, I think of the bulldozed plants.

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on NCNPS. They had some type of blurb at the NC Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill. Sounds like a good bunch of folks. I'll look into it. RJ

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

I work with plant rescues for NCNPS, and believe me, it is NOT easy to get developers to give permission. Most do not want anyone on the property, even if it means bulldozing wonderful plants, a heartbreaker, to be sure.

However, we keep trying, and every once in a while we luck up and get permission and find a fabulous site. (Never dig on someone's property without permission! But everyone can help by letting me or another NCNPS member know of land to be developed, so thagt we can get permission.)) We have had access to a trillium site for three seasons now, although they are starting to work there. And yes, sometimes individual homeowners will share, as most gardeners do.

As already mentioned, the price of membership gives you access to meetings, hikes (this weekend a big one in Brevard) annual picnic, etc. We have area chapters with which you can affilitate.

We have plant auctions, which is a great way to get plants that are not available at most nurseries. For people who don't like poison ivy, ticks, snakes, or other creatures you will find on rescues, the auction is wonderful.

Auction money, as well as most of the membership fees, helps support scholarships we give to people who are studying native plants in an approved academic setting OR scholarships to Cullowhee Native Plant Conference, which is the best place in the south, in my opinion, to gain much information in only a few days in the NC mountains.

If anyone had told me years ago that I, a person who used to like jewelry, art, and great clothes, would spend hot sweaty days on plants rescues, I would have laughed. Now I am addicted to the idea of "saving" plants from the bulldozer.

Don't join NCNPS just for the rescues, however. Join to meet like minded people who enjoy the out of doors and all that is found there. You may be surprised how it will change your perspective, as it has mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCNPS Website

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful message. I was a member of the Triangle NARGS/Rock Garden and Triangle Orchid societies for a number of years prior to my posting overseas so I understand that a society is for far more than plants; that it's a community of like minded people fostering the science and the art of horticulture, conservation and ecology awareness.

I met one of the propagators at the NC Botanical Garden and he mentioned NCNPS also and after we chatted he thought it would be a good fit for my interests as well. Hope to meet you all in the near future. Ended up buying about a dozen natives from the Botanical Garden offerings from that outing...

In the spirit of JC Raulston, I am open to the use of Natives but do not limit myself to them, just like I don't limit my garden to Rock Garden / cushion plants, woodland plants, etc.

RJ

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Like Brenda, I've also had occasions where individual property owners have allowed me to dig. One friend had a patch of atamasco lilies where he was going to fence in sheep so we relocated the bulbs, and some came home with me. I've gotten a number of my native ephemerals that way.

• byrdlady
    13 years ago

NETWORK! I would tell everyone you know you are looking to rescue plants. I did the first year we moved to NC. I was amazed at what people gave me (Of course I had to dig it all up.)

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks byrdlady.

Honestly looking at my family and professional life, it is a stretch to get involved in a lot of rescue work because I travel so much. Doing the work is no problem - love getting down and dirty in the soil. People may find my frequent absences a pain though.

Maybe I'll have to wait until folks are looking for "homes" for things they have saved and participate as time allows in a more modest way. RJ