Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings

Posted by jeeper55 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 12:00

How do you keep your seedlings from getting leggy . they are all up but are getting tall instead bushy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings

Usually, leggy means they need more light or light of a higher intensity. If they're in seed flats you might try placing them outside during the day (put them in the shade out of direct sunshine for the first week). If they are outside and in seed flats you need to move them to a full sun spot in the garden (check them in the middle of the day to make sure they aren't wilting). If they are in the ground (direct sown) then something is blocking the light. If that something is not moveable then I would just wait, they usually over come the legginess once they start growing real leaves. If they can't get enough light, they may always be leggy and stretched.

At my old garden, which only had 6 hours of full sun in June, my tomatoes and peppers were often head high before they bloomed - there just wasn't enough light no matter how "sunny" it looked to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here