Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geebeega

Muhly Grass

geebeega
16 years ago

Has anyone seen any muhly grass for sale around Winston Salem, High Point, or Lexington? I'm looking--LA Reynolds doesn't have any in yet, and haven't seen any elsewhere. I'd be happy to help someone thin out their garden!!!

Comments (15)

• laurabs
    16 years ago

You could always order it.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page64.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Muhly grass

• geebeega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was hoping to find it a little cheaper! However, if I can't find it locally, I may have to order it.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

What you need to find is a grower nursery - in other words a business that sells plants that they grow. Most garden centers only sell plants that they buy in from growers out in the countryside. Any large grower will have it now but it will be small (don't worry, it grows fast). Most garden centers bring it in towards the fall when it is larger and blooming. I don't remember the two main species of it but you want to buy both. One blooms a month before the other so your blooming bed of ornamental grass will have an extra long bloom time. One of them also comes in a white form which is pretty mixed with the normal pink/purple form.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

You could see if any of these native plant vendors are near you and then call to see if they have it:
    http://faculty.ncwc.edu/mbrooks/pif/Home%20Page%20Links/native_plant_vendor_list_for_nor.htm

Here is another list of nurseries:
    http://www.ncwildflower.org/natives/sources.htm

And this one is dated 4/2004 but might still be helpful:
    http://www.ashevillebotanicalgardens.org/Links/Suppliers%20NativePlants.pdf

• Lynda Waldrep
    16 years ago

I have seen it at the farmers' mkt. off Sandy Ridge Rd. between WS and Gsb. A&B Nursery is located there, too. I doubt that the farmers are bringing those things in yet, but you could go over on a Sat. or Sunday to check things out. Sat. is best as some of the sellers are Amish/Mennonite and will not sell on Sun. Oh, they were already selling herbs and shrubs the first of March, when I last visited, so maybe they will have those grasses now. Of course, it is supposed to be cold for the next few days...yuck.

• geebeega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! Offer still stands if anyone needs theirs thinned out!!!

• DYH
    16 years ago

It is still a little early for most of the ornamental grasses from nurseries. Most of the tops are still too small. Look for it again in late May and early June. That will give you plenty of time to plant it and get the show.

I've already transplanted all of the kids from my one pink muhly mother plant. Once you have a few mature muhly, you'll get little grasses where the seeds drop. Mine literally sprout out of the driveway gravel!

Cameron

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

I got mine from here. Their packing is super!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Rosa Gardens

• red_clay_soil
    16 years ago

Try Tom's Creek Nursery for almost anything you're looking for. They're located west of Asheboro, south of Denton, near Farmer NC (which is pretty much the middle of no-where!) but have acres and acres of plants/shrubs/trees/grasses. Headed there Friday at noon after leaving work early, and the place is amazing as far as prices & selection. Their website is tomscreeknursery.com (I think), if not, you can google it to find it.

• DYH
    16 years ago

Tom's Creek is a wonderful place. I bought azaleas from them 20+ years ago! I'm glad you mentioned them. I had no idea if they were still running a nursery.
    Cameron

• red_clay_soil
    16 years ago

Instead of running around from place to place looking for stuff, and either not finding it, or not wanting to pay the high prices, I think I'll just go to Tom's Creek once in a while. Their prices are extremely reasonable, and they have so many things I was just in awe of the selection. I like that you can drive your vehicle around to the various areas and park close to the stuff you're looking at, load it up, and then drive to the front office for them to ring you up when you're all ready.

• red_clay_soil
    16 years ago

Just checked the tomscreek website to see if they had muhly grass available, but their plant database doesn't seem to be working. It worked fine last week, I was able to price out the different shrubs/trees I was looking for before heading down there. Maybe they're in the process of doing an update on the system or something like that...

• dawgie
    16 years ago

It's still pretty early for most ornamental grasses. Most nurseries really don't start stocking many OGs (except blue fescue) until late May because they are slow to get started.

Muhly seems to be readily available in Raleigh nurseries once the weather warms up.

• red_clay_soil
    16 years ago

They had hundreds of grasses when I was there last week -- I didn't look closely, though, because I wasn't looking for them, I was looking at the trees & shrubs.

• geebeega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! Guess I just got a little anxious on my gardening this year!!!