Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Golden Euonymus in Raleigh

jimtnc
16 years ago

Does anyone know where around the area I can find a decent sized Golden Euonymus (Euonymus japonicus 'Aureo-marginata') around 3', and what it might cost? A lot of places have them but they're very small and I don't want to wait that long with these. I've been getting a lot of stuff at Broadwell's and down that way, but I don't think they don't carry them.

I was spraying Roundup in some beds and a good breeze came up suddenly and blew some overspray their way and took out 3 Abelias and part of a Golden Euonymus I have. At least they look like the aren't gonnna make it...withering on the stalk it looks.

Comments (13)

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I see them everywhere - garden centers and big box retailers so you should be able to find them. They are usually smaller than 3 feet but I think that is because they grow so fast there usually isn't a need for large potted ones.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, that's my point. I know they grow relatively fast, and I see them at HD and all over too, but if you buy a 1' plant it's not gonna grow that fast in one season to blend in. I knew they were available...I wanted to know if someone has seen them bigger than the usual 1-1.5' dinky size.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Has anyone seen this plant at Broadwell's or Old Stage nurseries? Trying to get a larger size than 1 gal that everyone else only seem to have.
    Golden Euonymus - Euonymus japonicus 'Aureo-Marginata'

{{gwi:567279}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Fyi, if you know you accidentally overspray something, if you spray it down well with water immediately it will usually get enough of it off to save the plant.

I agree w/John- take the pill, put the smaller one this year and by next year you won't be able to tell the difference. I do think both broadwell's and old stage carry them, though.
    Or... better yet, consider putting something else in there that isn't very allergenic and invasive to boot. We've eliminated all of the privets & ligustrums on our prop for those reasons. You have a golden opportunity- seize it! ;)

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I just reviewed my NC Invasive and Exotic Plant List again, and I can't find this variety listed anywhere...not even on the watch list. I do find Euonymus fortunei, but that's another story. I also had privets & ligustrums that I got rid of and planted something else, but I see no problem with Euonymus japonicus 'Aureo-Marginata'.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry- i was thinking ligustrum/privet, NOT euonymous. My bad. Some of the euonymouses are a bit thuggish, too, but probably a variegated one is no big deal, and since you've already checked you should be good. I still always prefer variety to a row of one thing myself. As far as broadwell's or old stage for that, my guess would be if either have it it'd be old stage. Sorry again. Will try to read/process more carefully.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, you were right Tammy. Old Stage had them...went there yesterday. They had the 3 gal for $7.50. Nice looking. I also talked to the guy about exchanging my "stick" Forset Pansy for another. HAH!! He said I was just stuck with it. Nice guy.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Well i'm glad you found what you were looking for but i'm sorry he dissed you on the forest pansy. Did you explain that it never came out of dormancy? I wouldn't be surprised they wouldn't want to exchange, but they should honor a dead plant purchase. That's too bad.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, after I talked to him I rode back over where the Forest Pansies are, and there were some that looked very nice but still had others that have not leafed out yet. Sooooo, I guess the moral of that story to me is don't buy until they have leafed out or showing some kind of growth.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

So, is it possible the first one you bought is still alive and just sleeping? Did you ask or keep a hold of it? Have you tried scratching the bark to see if it's still green? You may have a second one to plant if that's the case. At least you know it wasn't something you did- you just made an unlucky pick. I still think he should have replaced it for free or at most, half price, especially given that he has some still there doing the same. Mail order normally honors things if they ship them dormant and they don't break dormancy. I'd be very leery of buying something like that dormant myself, but you were just trying to do it the way you're supposed to, planting in late winter. Sigh- darned if you do, darned if you don't. I guess one solution would be to pick a tree in fall before it goes dormant and just plant then or hold it for a month or 2 and plant in winter.

• lylesgardens
    15 years ago

Can new shoots that have broken off be dipped in root hormone and maybe set in some water to root? Just curious.....Lyle

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I scratched it mnidway down and way down close to the graft, and no sign of green. I had it planted in the yard at first, and dug it up and planted a replacement Forest Pansy I got from somewhere else and replanted the stick in a container with a good soil mix and root stimulator. I left it like that for almost 3 weeks and nothing happened, so I figure I gave it a good effort to save it. It's been tossed now.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Saw some nice 6' ones at the farmer's market today that had several small branches- about 1.5-2' that they wanted $35 for. I thought that was very reasonable.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!