Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptpix

hard to kill drought resistant flowering plants

ptpix
13 years ago

I have been doing some landscaping with low stacked stone walls and removed a bunch of square granite stone. Instead of just throwing them into a pile in the backyard behind the fence, I made a small-ish raised bed 20 spf or so, around the stop sign at the front of our property. What can I plant in there, perennials, that can tolerate some abuse, meaning infrequent watering mostly.

bushes, flowers, etc.

i was thinking lantana for one, takes up quite a bit of space, looks good and seems hard to kill, i know that that is an annual here, but it could work, cheap enough to replace every year.

butterfly bushes? are they drought resistant?

Comments (10)

• coorscat
    13 years ago

moss roses and purslane grow easy from seed and love hot and dry. Pentas could work as an annual too and they don't get thirsty
    I love lantana and would not diss it to you

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Purslane is great. I also highly recommend 'ice plant' which is flowering now and it's much more tolerant of cold snaps and frosts (it's perennial) than purslane (annual). If you do plant the iceplant remember it will run 18-24 inches from where it's rooted. Trimmings can be quickly rooted in plain water (as can purslane) to add to your garden plantings.
    Mexican zinnias (low growing continuous flowering neat mounding plant) in creamy white,almost marigold yellow and mixtures of rose,fuschia and pink do great in zeriscape if you prep the soil under and around them with just a bit of water saver beads. Don't use too much or it will heave the soil as the beads expand into globs of water holding gel.

Look up plants recommended for zeriscaping for zone 7-8.
    After the droughts we've had down here you'll find a lot more selection of plants with lower water needs at your local garden centers.

• ptpix
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Sounds like purslane is the winner!

pt

• gyozu
    13 years ago

Tina James Magic Evening Primrose.
    Please Note: Readily self seeds. Long bloom cycle. Looks weedy when growing and after blooming. Gold Finches and Bublebees love it.

{{gwi:567297}}

{{gwi:567299}}

Also Ice Plant, Russian Sage, Agastache. Blue spruce sedum

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Primrose, my favorite plant. The one I had to dig down a foot of soil and heave the soil and the mat of roots out because it laughed at Round-Up. Nothing would or could grow through that mat of roots. oenothera..not

• DYH
    13 years ago

Russian sage
    lavender
    agastache
    gaillardia
    salvia greggii

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

ha..if you want drought resistant you should try bleeding heart.
    I guess I accidently dug it out last fall when weeding a bed, tossed it and the weeds on the top of the brush pile(like 4' above ground and all branches and sticks)
    Darned if the thing didn't grow and it bloomed late this year, on the day my husband passed away. Never noticed it until I saw all the white flowers.
    I thought it was prophetic to see a fully flowering spring plant blooming lushly with no soil.

• deirdre_2007
    13 years ago

Dottie,
    So very sorry to hear about your husband. I agree, the flowers blooming sounds prophetic to me also!

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Thanks Dee, I didn't mean to hijack ptpix's thread but talk about 'drought resistant', LOL.

Actually, gyozu's evening primrose is great and less of a thug than the pink, lower growing form I threatened with nuclear warfare.

Many herbs prefer to be in dry,well drained locations and of course the varieties of lavender work well too.

• coorscat
    13 years ago

Dottie: My mother grows ice plant in south Texas (hot any dry) and she says that during the worst of summer she has a problem with the birds eating it for the water content. I had never heard of that but when I visited last July, sure enough, the birds were eating her ice plant. Has that ever happened to yours?

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor