Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there any plants from Spain and Italy I should look for?

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 12:39

It's probably too early to harvest any seeds this month while we're there. Just wondering if there are any unusual plants I might find packaged seeds for?

A cool place we're visiting is the Aboca herb farm and processing facility. Hubby is on the board of Gaia Herbs in Brevard and Gaia is distributing here for Aboca. Should be an interesting change from the typical tourist spots.
Can't believe our 30 y/o single son is going with us. We haven't had a family vacation since he was 14.
He likes plants and he was my 'shovel' while we lived in the same house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there any plants from Spain and Italy I should look for?

Lucky you!! Have a wonderful time!

o

There's a lady who posts with some frequency on the antique roses forum. Her username is melissa_thefarm. She's an American who has lived in northern Italty for a number of years. She may be able to help you out.

o

Thanks you two.

o

Customs will not allow you to bring seeds back. If they catch you, that is. Plant materials are restricted and require a permit. Not that I care if you do it, and I'm sure you could hide a few seeds. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. -Ais.

o

The things I would look for is the small farms that grow Anemone's and Ranunculus for the cut flower trade. They grow some exquisite extra large blossoms in unusuall colors over there. Intensely rich tones on flowers the size of large grapefruit. These same bulbs are available after import but cost a fortune over here. There is also a perennial snapdragon that grows wild around that area - Antirrhinum braun-blanquetti (I'm guessing on the spelling). Only comes in pale yellow with gold in the throat but forms a nice large matt with normal snap sized flower spikes. I have seeds which have sprouted so I am interested if they will grow here (they evidentally do well in CA).

Other than that, just enjoy the gardens I've heard they're spectacular!

o

Have a wonderful trip Dottie!

Carla

o

Dottie, I brought back commercially packaged arugula seed from Italy last summer. I bought them at the grocery store in Montalcino because they had several different types that I don't usually find in the States. I read before I went over that commercial seed packets were OK to bring back, but I listed them on my declaration for customs just in case something had changed or I had misread the regulations. The customs officer said they were fine and scratched it off the declaration form for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here