Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bag worms everywhere !

Posted by love2gardenn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 12:49

anyone else seeing an over abundance of bag worms in the trees this year? If so, what are you doing about them ?
Am looking for a safe non toxic ( other than to the worms of course) control since many are in/around our
farm animals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bag worms everywhere !

Are you referring to bagworms or tent caterpillars/webworms? I know that I probably removed 50 or so bagworm cases last Fall (we have alot of evergreens). I haven't seen any tent caterpillars yet this year, but typically we do get a few.

You can spray tent caterpillars/webworms with BT when they are young. I typically just break up the nest a little so that the birds can have at them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

o

Ugh!!! I have a nasty wild cherry tree that literally was/is draped in webbing... including the truck and down to the ground! It actually creeped me out when I noticed how completely they had covered the tree.

o

If you notice it when they're really small you can just take a stick and do like you'd do with a spider's web- twirl the stick in the webbing and it'll gather they whole mess up, caterpillars and all. When they get bigger it's a lot harder to do that. They especially like cherry and apple tree family members, so watch there first. I check my trees in the winter for the egg sacs, which look like a rounded bump on the stem and scrape it off.

o

Ok, thanks for the help guys. I think they are caterpillars.
For now I'm just trying to destroy them the best way I can ( and what I can reach) with a stick and stomping on the ones that hit the ground , hopefully the wild birds will help from there out.

Magick, that sounds creepy crawly , literally.

o

It really was... Also kinda cool in a dark artsy kind of way.

o

They love the wild cherry trees around here too and give me the shivers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here