Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

Carolina growing Miss Kim

thomis
16 years ago

Anyone in Carolina country growing the Miss Kim lilac? I nabbed one today at the Raleigh farmer's market for an excellent deal. I figured if the "local" nursery was selling it, it may have a fighting chance here.

Comments (13)

• yotedog
    16 years ago

I got one for 3.00 at a local garden sale last year, and its thriving and set to bloom any day. It gets morning sun until about noon, FYI.

I tried to give it away because I had heard lilacs don't do well here, but upon further research I've since learned that 'Miss Kim' is one of the cultivars that will probably be ok. And by the way, I walk alot, and I've been seeing lilacs (not Miss Kim, but full sized) all over my neighborhood blooming this past week. The bushes don't look that great, but they seem happy enough to bloom beautifully, so what the heck...

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I have had a Miss Kim lilac for 5 years now and never had an issue with it--other than frost nipping the blooms at times in the past. The fallacy that lilacs can not be grown here in NC amazes me since my grandmother has had them at her house near Charlotte for over 75 years. Picking a good cultivar that is suited to the south is key here. Ones that do well in the north will likely not survive or flourish in the south.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

My Miss Kim never did well and eventually died - so they are not fool proof.

There are a number of blooming Lilacs out at the J C Raulston Arboretum. Various species and cultivars. Most have the correct frangrance the only difference is that they don't get as large as they do up north.

Most lilacs will grow here but few will bloom - they need more cold during the winter to make flower buds.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

I just purchased a Miss Kim so I can't personally vouche for its performance, but since Niche has been selling it for years that's a good indication it will perform well.

• jody
    16 years ago

I bought one last year, it bloomed last year and is set to bloom any minute now. It did okay inspite of the drought - didn't go backwards at anyrate. The deer nibbled it a bit, but not too much. I am applying compost and hoping it will add growth this year. Its a nicely shaped little bush so far.

Am sooo looking forward to those blooms.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I've had one for two years. It's about 30" high now and is loaded with buds. Last year, the frost got the buds in April. It seems hardy enough so far.

Cameron

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

Just bought mine at Niche two months ago, and it's already set blooms ready to come out...lots of blooms! I see an old Miss Kim on my drive to work every day--it's in part sun and about 4-5' high with a larger spread, and the blooms are out. I can even smell it if the windows are down.

I've potted a 'Sensation' and 'Josee' (the re-bloomer, supposedly. We'll see how they do...

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

My Miss Kim is going into its 3rd summer (2 winters) and so far it looks good as far as buds, so long as we don't get another late freeze. Has a nice shape and hasn't needed the pruning the northern ones need down here. I have another no name that I've had abt 7 years and it's finally going to bloom for the 1st time, bought it somewhere between PA and MI. I thought it was a yellow I had bought but looks like it's going to be a pink. Haven't a clue where the yellow (I think it was called primrose) went? I am a really bad pruner, so I am thrilled that Miss KIm spares me that.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I have an old fashioned lilac that grows and blooms fine. It's slower growing here than it would be up north and not as lush, but still worthwhile. Proper siting is crucial. They like to be high and dry and benefit from some protection from sun in the afternoon, but not dense shade. Miss Kim is supposed to be one of the best for this climate. -Ais.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Miss Kim is S. patula so I will be curious to see how the fragrance is when it opens. I also have a S. vulgaris that I got from Triangle John and am I likewise curious to see how it performs. I have it where it can be hidden if it develops crud this summer. :) My MIL has a lilac -- don't remember what it is, Niche only offered it for a little while -- that blooms beautifully in spring then gets mildew all over.

• surface_noise
    16 years ago

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 'Miss Kim', though fragrant, does not have the typical lilac scent. It is generally fairly easy to grow, though.

• ncdirtdigger
    16 years ago

I grew them at my old place and they did just fine. the fragrance is not the same as the northern lillac, it reminds me more of a tazetta narcissus. They tend to lose there leaves early, mine were typically bare by Sept. 1st. They also like a sweet soil so add lime before planting and every year when you do your lawn, spread some around the Miss Kim's

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

We bought one last year from a vender at the Farmers Market in Raleigh and it has doubled in size and has several blossoms this year just about to fully open....

Lynne