Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Clay Soil - How To Clean and Keep From Tracking In To House?

eldemila
14 years ago

Can anyone provide some suggestions on the best way to handle clay soil.

We just bought a home in Greenville County with clay soil. Not use to this, from FL, no clay. I have washed, and washed the same area of floor over and over and the water has to be changed a LOT due to the clay. It's taken me forever to wash the living room alone!

Can anyone suggest a good floor cleaner? Does anyone know where to find Krud Kutter for Clay in the Greenville area, I heard it was good.

Any suggestions on the best way to keep people from tracking it through your home other than them taking off their shoes?

Thanks for any tips. When purchasing a new home, I don't think people think of things like this, I sure didn't!

THANKS!

Comments (6)

• luvnaz61
    14 years ago

Hi, I moved here from Tucson the red clay is new to me too! I bought a shoe scraper for the front porch which helps. But we usually take our shoes off! We have green carpet and red clay would stain it terribly! Unless you want to be a slave to the mop and bucket the easiest solution is to take off your shoes! I wear a clean pair inside or use my slippers or sandals.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess we'll do the same and take off shoes, but do you insist guests do the same? Have you found a good inside rug that's easy to clean the clay from? A good outside mat, possibly? I feel like I'm a salve to that floor already and I haven't even moved in!!!!

Thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

You must cover all the dirt with either mulch, plants, grass, stepping stones, etc. Be very careful about getting any red clay on your house, patio, driveway (black top doesn't matter)
    as it will permanently stain forever.

• luvnaz61
    14 years ago

We have a gravel walkway into the house from the gravel driveway so I'm less concerned about the clay from guests getting tracked into the house, but if it had been raining I'd be more concerned.

In that case I would ask them to please wipe their shoes or by example remove my shoes at the foyer and suggest they do the same so the clay won't get tracked in.

A good door mat is the type with the rough bristles that will get the clay out from between the waffle groves in the soles of the shoes. But even that doesn't completely get all the clay out! I wash our tennis shoes and boots are left to dry and then I brush and scrape the clay off! A chore to be sure, but compared to trying to get the clay out of the carpet it is worth it!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, appreciated.

There's a walkway up to the front, so that's a plus, but it's a big yard and I hope to work in it, so I guess it will be up to me to make sure when I come in the take off my shoes and be mindful not to track in clay. My OH may not be so good at remembering to do so. As for family/friends, I won't have any problems with asking them to remove shoes. It's service people I may have a problem with asking, esp. if some guy has some stinky dirty socks under his workboots!!!! I guess I'll buy some of those shoe covers they use in hospitals.

Thanks again!!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor