Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookiejunk

are your SC hosts's up yet?

brookiejunk
16 years ago

My hosta's arent up yet. I'm wondering if they are dead my mother lives five minutes from me and hers are coming up. I did have one come up on the other side of the house. Just wondering how everyone elses hostas were doing in the lower SC area.

Comments (10)

• brpinson
    16 years ago

About a third of mine are up...like you, I'm wondering if they are dead or eaten by voles. My soil is kind of heavy and it is still pretty cold, so I'm hoping they are just slow to emerge this year.

• aisgecko
    16 years ago

I don't live in that area, but I know that every year I think half are dead but they just emerge later. Some come up much later than others. Don't give up yet. Though voles and/or drought do sometimes get them. Good luck! -Ais.

• mrsig
    16 years ago

Half of mine are up and the other half are showing stems just breaking the surface of the ground/mulch.

The smaller leaf variety seem to be faster popping up for me if that helps any.

• iechris
    16 years ago

All of my hostas are up here in the Upstate, though not very far open yet, except 'Fire and Ice' that is just starting to poke its head above ground. Just in time for the possible frost... perfect...

From what I've seen in others yards, their hostas are up too, just not open to full size yet.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

I'm in NC, but I work at a nursery and different varieties do vary widely. Some have been completely leafed out for weeks and others are still hiding.

• brookiejunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you, i'm hoping they are just hiding for another week or two. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm waiting for all five.

• brookiejunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had one pop up. I'm still a little worried.

• lindakimy
    16 years ago

Do you have clay soil? If so, it probably doesn't warm up as soon as sandier areas. It seems to me that the hostas wait until the ground reaches a certain temperature and then just take off. In spring I pull back mulch and leaves where the slower varieties are so the sun can warm the ground and it usually coaxes them out in a few days.

• tooslim
    16 years ago

My Albas have been up and in full leaf for a few weeks, but its odd....I have 6 all full out, an one right beside them is still 1 inch "fingers". Very strange. So maybe yours are just a little slow this year.

• raye
    16 years ago

I live near Charlotte NC. I probably have 200+ hostas. ALOT of mine aren't up yet either. I am worried that I have lost alot of them because of the drought last summer. I have scratched around where some of them are supposed to be and found dried up crowns, including my Dream Weaver I just bought (and paid way too much for I'm sure). There was no way I could have possibly watered all of them without running my well dry. I am discouraged right now, not sure if I will bother replacing them or not.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional