Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
14gipper

plant id

Hollyclyff
14 years ago

Went for a walk in the woods today and took pictures. I need help with id on these. I don't know if they're weeds, wildflowers or what. Well, I know the ferns are ferns, but I don't know what kind of ferns. So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

{{gwi:568077}}

{{gwi:568079}}

{{gwi:568081}}

{{gwi:568083}}

{{gwi:568085}}

{{gwi:568087}}/a>

close up of 6

close up of 7

this is 9s dead flower stalk

Comments (14)

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

1. seedlings of euonymus americana?
    3. if those are all connected, Mitchella repens
    5. Uvularia sessilifolia
    9. I have this one but will have to wait until the name percolates up my brain to my fingers or until I dig up the tag in the back

1. Smilicina racemosa
    2. I have this one too, but forgot what it's name is
  • Hollyclyff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're probably right on number 1. They just never seem to grow bigger, so I didn't think of them as that. But I do have a lot of euonymus out there, so it makes sense. I believe you're also right on number 2. I looked it up and it fits the description perfectly. Number 10 looks right too. But number 5 doesn't quite fit. I went back out and found one with small flowers hanging under it. The petals are fused though and the description I looked up (and pictures) says the petals are not fused for uvularia sessilifolia. The flowers look just like Solomon's Seal, but all the pictures I've seen of Solomon's Seal show much wider leaves. There are a lot of these little plants in my woods, but all of them have these little skinny leaves.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

I thought #5 was a Uvularia, and I was taking a stab at the species, but it could be a Polygonum species. I've got that same skinny leaved one here but I don't think I've ever keyed it out definitively. I have a copy of the Manual of the Vascular Flora of the Carolinas, and if I can find where it is I'll look up the nitty gritty details and see if we can ID it.

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

5 is perhaps Uvularia perfoliata. Uvularia perfoliata will have stem seeming to go THRU leaf. If multiple flowers along stem underneathe, maybe Polygonatum biflorum?

1 is def tiny euonymous americana, hearts-a-burstin

3 is mitchella or gaultheria I think.

10 is Smilacina or Streptopus.

• Hollyclyff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the flowers for number 5

{{gwi:568106}}

{{gwi:568108}}

{{gwi:568110}}

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

1 - agree that is the native Euonymus americanus and 3 is Mitchella repens (partridge berry)
    6 is christmas fern
    8 are oak seedlings
    9 the dead stalk on that looks like Elephantopus.
    11 is Sensitive fern
    5 is Solomon's seal
    12 is some weedy thing with small yellow flowers that I'm always trying to get rid of or it could be Sanicula - it's hard to tell when they are young. I don't care for Sanicula either.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

I don't think 8 are oak seedlings. Was it growing in a wettish area? There's a weed that when it first comes up is very red flushed and likes moist soil (it turns an olive color as it gets bigger and has tiny white flowers at the joints). I like the serrated edges, and deliberately added some into the tub i have cattails in, but i do think it's a weed. It's back in the lake easement.

4 might be something called cucumber root. It's a nice native- and if i recall right, related to lilies. I love the leaf whorls. They typically seem to come in 5's rather than 4's but i've seen many different multiples. Or, it could be a galium species, but i don't think so- those fat leaves look more like the cuke root. (Medeola virginiana) This also popped up when i was doing a search for cuke root as a look alike: Isotria medeoloides.

i also have that last one, and i like the leaf form & variegations it tends to get but it IS weedy. has sticker like seeds.

There are definitely little bitty skinny leaved solomon seal species in the area- pete & i saw a mess of them in the one wildflower walk in garner, along with bigger fatter ones and the false solomon's seal and what i was pretty sure was uvalaria, though i didn't see blooms to say for certain. Those look like SS blooms. I don't have anything to key them out, though.

7 looks like lady fern, but it could also be hay scented fern.

9 reminds me of the little native saxifrages. They often will have reddish pores visible on the surface of the leaves if you look closely.

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

I have same solomons seal here

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I don't think 4 is Indian cucumber root. I am very familiar with that. Whatever #4 is, I have it too in my woods, doesn't do much and doesn't change much from what you've shown there. Maybe I can take a picture of mine to show you.

Tam is probably right that 8 is not oak seedlings after all, I guess it doesn't look woody enough to be oaks.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Yes, Elephantopus carolinianus for #9. You'd think I'd remember that name but I never do.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

For #4, how about Galium circaezans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galium circaezans

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

Yes, Gallium! I id'd it once and forgot. It's may be a native, but it's a weed to me, and impossible to pull out.

• Hollyclyff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I knew I could count on you guys to help me on these. Nobody has any ideas for number 2 though huh? 8 is definitely not oak. It's probably the weed that Tammy mentioned. It is growing right beside the water.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

I sort of assumed it was the same as #1, but it reminds me a lot of something i have growing way in the back and would like to know, too. It reminds me of an elongated native phlox, but i've never seen what i have bloom.

I guessed right on the galium with my second guess? wild.

I'll be curious if i can ever get an id for #8- i've been wanting to know for a long time. It either reseeds in exactly the same spot or is perennial. It does spread some, but doesn't seem to be too weedy.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus