Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine5678

Want Charlotte volunteers to help with gardening program

elaine5678
16 years ago

(I accidentally posted this in the Carolina Exchange Forum... here it is again)

Hi all,

I'm a volunteer, starting a gardening program at Aldersgate Retirement home on Shamrock Road in Charlotte, and I'm looking for more volunteers to help out. The first program will be on May 8. I'm doing this once a month for now, but it'd be great to have more volunteers so we're able to do this more than once a month.

If you're interested, let me know. The projects are up to you, or I can help you brainstorm (easy is ok!) You can have the supplies donated, or the retirement home will buy them for you, so there's no financial commitment, just your time!

The program on May 8 starts at 6:30 and will last about an hour to an hour and a half. You're welcome to come watch and help out!

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Elaine

Comments (6)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

That's not far from me, so it's no problem. I'll make a note. See you on May 8.

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

Looks as if everyone else is busy. Got some composted manure so do you want me to bring perennials or some woodies i.e., dogwood and/or crape?

• elaine5678
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking of getting some pansies and have a Mother's Day theme. They have random pots there and potting soil. I was getting flowers and maybe ribbon to tie around the pots to brighten them up a little... but we can do whatever we want.

Thanks for coming! I thought I'd get a few more responses here!

Hmmm, the dogwoods would be a good idea too. They'd be a good Mother's Day type thing. I was told there would be only about 6-8 people there. So we don't have to plan for a large crowd. How many dogwoods and crapes do you have to bring?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Elaine, I'm too far from the site but I would recommend that instead of pansies, you substitute calibrachoa. Much hardier and longer blooming. You can also show them how to make a gazillion plants from rooting slips(in water) of all the gorgeous kinds of coleus.
    Show them how adding a twig of willow will help almost anything root in water.
    The elderly with financial limitations will appreciate how one coleus plant will make enough plants to fill a bed and more to share. If each participant got one variety/color in a month they could gather to swap and share.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Another tip..last year when I injured my knee and couldn't kneel or squat to plant, I dug the hole to the correct depth, took the plant and put it in a small bag of netting suspended from a coat hanger to drop in the hole, then just drew the soil up around the plant.

The netting has holes that are 1/4" or more..big enough for soil to make contact with what's around the young plant and plenty of room for roots to grow out of the netting.
    It was tedious but all my planting in early spring was done standing up. Hope this helps.

• bullthistle
    15 years ago

See you tonight. Anything you need me to bring?