Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jilliebean9700

suggestions for early bloomers

jilliebean9700
13 years ago

i have must have planted all mid-late bloomers in my garden in front. there are only 2 things in bloom-yellow lantana & a weeping redbud tree. what can i plant that will enjoy sun for next spring or the next early summer days?

thanks

Comments (4)

• User
    13 years ago

Jilliebean,
    I am in SC zone 8, but I will tell you what is blooming for me, or has been blooming for the past couple of weeks.
    Verbena, blooms all summer
    Gerber Daisies- all summer very easy to care for
    Iris- Extremely easy, just water in hot weather when dry, my Iris bloom in Spring, then again fall when everything else is done.
    Spyria- I have foundation plants, the bigger variety, blooms like crazy in early spring, just ending their first bloom now.
    Panises- still blooming, reseeds in hot weather, blooms all winter, can't beat them! (LOL they are sooo easy)
    Daffodils- done blooming by now, but I love them in March.
    Cheap at all stores, reliable to bloom.
    Good luck with your garden this year, be careful, it's addictive. LOL

• jilliebean9700
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you

• Georgianna Kiggins
    12 years ago

These might work for you:

Anemone
    Artemisia
    Baptisia
    Bleeding Heart
    Blue-eyed Grass
    Buttercup
    Candytuft
    Columbine
    Coreopsis
    Coral Bells
    Crocus
    Dianthus
    Dwarf Iris
    Grape Hyacinth
    Hyacinth
    Heucherella
    Iris
    Johnny-jump-up
    Pansies
    Phlox
    -divaricata,
    -stolonifera,
    -subulata
    Dianthus
    Poppy
    Tulip
    Virginia Bluebells

• thisbetty
    12 years ago

Don't forget all the hardy annuals that you can direct sow in late summer/early fall to bloom in spring. I have had good luck with these early spring cool season bloomers. Best for me are larkspur-never fails, poppies, hesperis, and sweet alyssum my books say spring sow, but fall for me, in the spring I hardly have time to breathe). These are all sow-in-place types and useful only to those with appropriate spaces for that use.
    larkspur - always reseeds, blue seems to reseed mostly blue
    love in a mist
    baby blue eyes (beautiful but closes by noon)
    five spot
    poppies - CA, Shirley, opium
    forget-me-nots
    silene
    clarkia
    godetia
    dames rocket (hesperis) - reseeds just right
    batchelor buttons
    sweet alyssum(esp the new large tetraploids) and all the beautiful plants by previous poster.
    Bulbs and roots: the small alliums-uniflorum, roseum, cowanii- and anemone nemrosa,geranium tuberosum, dicentras, (exsc spelling please). Also don't the dutch iris and glad.Bz. bloom in the down time between e spring and e summer? The LA lilies also very early.
    And viola Columbine,the v. odorate varieties.,astillbes, aquillegias, dianthus, May Queen daisy, salvia Blue and White hill and May Night, achillea Anthea, candytuft. small veronicas. And the early shrubs - Quince, pearl bush, small roses, beautybush, deutzias, lilac.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting