Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving to North Carolina

Posted by georgie430 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 15:42

Hi

I have decided to follow my heart and move to your beautiful state. I can have my hands in dirt most of the year. Living in Upstate NY is hard for someone who really dislikes the winter. I always have, not only as an older person but even as a child.

This is awkward for me to ask as I know this is a gardening forum, not a real estate agency But you guys would be able to point me in the right locations.

Nothing makes me feel more alive then gardening. Well nothing I can afford to do daily, thats for sure. If anyone has any suggestions. I know it may not be practical but is there anywhere in NC that I can grow pomergrante trees??

Thank you for reading this and I hope to be your neighboor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving to North Carolina

Many people around Raleigh grow them. I have a few in my garden. The typical grocery store kinds can suffer during some of our winters (sometimes winter is cold here, sometimes it isn't). There are plenty of smaller fruited, sour types that handle our weather just fine.

o

Charlotte area no problem.

o

Charlotte area no problem.

o

In the Charlotte area you will be among tons of upstate New Yorkers. They started moving here with corporations back in the '70s.
Some of the South Charlotte area, depending upon microclimates and elevations is zone 8a. Much is 7b and you can be assured of almost two full growing seasons and year round flowers.
Often, we originally from the Northeast are dismayed by not being able to grow some of our favorites here because
it's not cold long enough for good dormancy.
You'll be happy with just how much more you can grow here vs. your zone.

o

Shelby/Cleveland Co. area is nice too!

o

Belmont is great too - close to Charlotte yet still has a home town feel. Weather is very mild, and there are plenty of recreational activities nearby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here