Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Where has my little dogwood gone?

chas045
14 years ago

I have been here (near Pittsboro) five years now and I'm reasonably sure that dogwoods and redbuds flower at the same time. I haven't seen a single native dogwood flowering this year while the redbuds have been going like gangbusters for two weeks. What's up with that? I have a red garden center dogwood just flowering today and I see ONE flower on a similar white Kusa variety. I also see leaves over the other native dogwoods in my yard. I guess that hapens after the flowers. So, what happened?

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Kousa dogwood is not flowering now, btw - they don't flower until well after the leaves appear.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Some of the native ones are leafing before they flower this year- not sure why. At least, some of mine are. I'm looking out the window at one now. I was noticing a few just starting to bloom yesterday. It was weird winter....

• jay_7bsc
    14 years ago

As esh_ga said, _Cornus kousa_, the Chinese dogwood, flowers after leafing out. Its season of bloom is several weeks after our native dogwoods (_Cornus florida_) have finished blooming. If your native dogwoods were going to bloom this year, their flower buds would be obvious even though they may not have begun to show any color. Dogwoods set their buds in late summer/early fall, and their buds are noticeable all winter. If small and immature, your dogwoods are probably just not old enough to bloom.

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

Mine are like those of Tamelask, just starting to bloom although they already have a few leaves. Srange.

• jmblack_nc
    14 years ago

How old do dogwoods have to be before they bloom?
    I have one that I planted last spring. It did not flower last year, so I was hoping to see it flower this year.

• willf
    14 years ago

We have volunteer dogwoods around the edge of the yard that bloomed at three or four years old. We have a few survivors of the twelve or fifteen small trees we transplanted out of the far woods into the near woods twenty years ago. They have neither grown appreciably nor bloomed in all that time.
    There are wild dogwoods all through the woods here in Lower Richland County; most years you can see them everywhere around this time. This year they all seem to be sparse of bloom.
    I think the weather's been too nice; finally a winter with normal rainfall.
    Wm

• tamelask
    14 years ago

I did notice the bloom here was more sparse- but why would a good rainfall fall/winter make for less blooms? I'd think it would be the opposite. They have flowered very heavily the past few years, so perhaps they just needed a down year to recoup.

• willf
    14 years ago

I'm afraid that was a feeble attempt at irony.
    I went into town for groceries this evening and saw that the trees in folk's yards are covered with blooms. And had it pointed out that the loggers have been disturbing the woods where I usually see so many dogwood flowers. On the other hand, in the recently thinned planted pines the sand myrtle is making it look like a heavy snow lies on the ground.
    Wm

• chas045
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My two garden center dogwoods flowered well the year after planting and the next. Re natives not being old enough, my natives flowered well every year until this year, and they didn't have obvious buds this year (or last fall I guess).

My extension agent says that dogwoods usually begin flowering a little later than the redbuds and while we were talking we could see a dogwood in full flower outside his office window but on my way home I found almost no dogwoods in bloom on my 10 mile drive.