Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under siege by caterpillars!

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 16:58

Hey there, so this is our first Spring in our new house and I have come across a problem in the backyard which borders the woods. There is some type of caterpillar out there in the thousands!

Seriously, at any given moment there are maybe 10-30+ caterpillars on each of the decorative plants out there. We have a waterfall and there are maybe 300 dead ones under the water. If you look up, you can see that all of the trees have had their lower leaves just destroyed. They are on every surface, the ground, the trees, all plants, rocks, everywhere!

What can we do about this!! I posted a pic of the culprits on an azalea that they have nearly killed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under siege by caterpillars!

They look like the bag worm critters that usually are found in wild cherry trees. I haven't noticed them yet here in central NC. Perhaps I just haven't looked up much. Lots of folks get rid of those trees. You can also take a long stick and wrap up a web loaded with the critters and stomp it, poison it or burn it.

o

Spray them off with a hose. Another name for caterpillars is "bird food". Think of all the hungry baby birds that these will feed.

o

It's been a heavy year for them. The earliest instars went after the boxwoods and Japanese hollies previous year's growth but the new growth has covered all the early damage.
From the photo, looks like these loopers are about full size and soon will drop to the ground to eventually become the wingless female or the male and the cycle begins again.

Most of your plants will recover if they have well set roots.

o

A flock of chickens would solve this problem in one weekend.

o

Mebbe hers but mine are 70-100 feet up raining down their poop.

o

How wonderful, dottie, for the birds migrating through your area as well as for the birds raising chicks in the nest.

The plants know very well how to survive this and the poop on the ground is just like slow release fertilizer.

o

esh, yup..pre-processed organic leaves..good for the earth but I'll still wear a hat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here