Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solaknc

Don't plant out too soon- possible frost/freeze next week

solaknc
15 years ago

Lots of forecasters are calling for the likelyhood of frost or freeze conditions next Tues & Wed nights for much of the Southeast. I know it's that time of the year a lot of us want to get things out and growing, but it might be best to hold off, if possible, until this short cold snap is gone. Hopefully it won't be as severe as the Easter freeze of 2007.

Comments (9)

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I just heard the same on my weather forcast. Hopefully their forecast will be off as much as a few others I've heard from our Weather folks lately. I always try to hold off till after Easter, seems we always have one more cold snap right around then.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

ugh again????

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

Was it 'O7? Coulda sworn it was last year. Suffering CRS as the years pile up.
    Farmer near my other house in Matthews has had his tomatoes in the ground since mid-March using 'wall of waters'. Works for him every year for his determinate plants. I think he waits for the indeterminate varieties til mid-April when the soil starts to warm.
    It's going to be so 'springy' this weekend you won't be able to get near a garden center. Hey, if these folks get a head-start on me, that's fine. I'd rather wait and be sure I don't have to replant.

• claudia_sandgrower
    15 years ago

Yep, it was '07, Dottie... I'm still grieving over the loss of all my hard-won azalea blooms that year!

I was at the Farmer's Market festival in Columbia (SC) yesterday... lots of folks were buying up flats of plants, but everyone was talking about '07. I'm definitely waiting 'til after Easter to put anything in the ground!

• julie11
    15 years ago

Claudia, I too was at the Farmer's Market Festival yesterday and had a blast. We bought a large dragonfly piece from the ironworks booth and just a few plants for fun:

-green japenese maple for around our pond shade
    -sample of Carolina phlox, something I've not grown before
    -solomon's seal
    -spike moss, which looked like a neat groundcover for the shade

I'm brand new to this forum and still very new to gardening... I've learned in increments over the past 4-5 years but I'm still a newbie.

Should I cover any of my emerging perennials tonight, to be safe? We haven't put anything new in, but will the frost do damage to new stuff coming up?

• iris2sun
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Looks like we're going to get those freezing conditions Tuesday night. I've got lots of asiatic & oriental lilies that have been growing for several weeks and are over 10 inches tall. Does anyone know if these lilies are damaged/killed by this type of freeze (predicted 27 degrees with low winds).

Thanks

• claudia_sandgrower
    15 years ago

Hi Julie! I say the ironworks display... there were some really nice pieces there. Good luck with your new plants! If you have success with the Carolina phlox let us know... I've not grown it before but would like to try it.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

OK...you're not posting, but you did cover your tender plants, and brought in those spring planters...you're a little sheepish, remembering that Easter freeze not that long ago, perhaps?...

I'll admit it, I over-prepared! Better safe than sorry, after all. =)

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

We lucked out! Woohoo!