Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb?

Posted by crazymommy 7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 17:32

I spied some pots of Victoria in the store and brought them home. I've heard mixed reviews on rhubarb here. Is it possible? I heard on a local board ages ago that someone had success here with it. Anyone here have suggestions on the best place to try it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb?

I grow it in my garden and have for over ten years. I'm in South Raleigh, zone 7b. It does not like the weather here so on really hot years it suffers, often to the point of death. I just buy new roots in the Spring. The variety 'Victoria' does best for me but does not always show a lot of red on the stalk so a pie can look like you made it out of celery instead of rhubarb (it tastes the same as red stalked plants).

I have tried every trick in the book to keep this plant happy. Some people can get away with planting it in high shade, like under tall pine trees - this hasn't worked for me. I grow mine in full sun and in super rich, dark black soil that I double dig as deeply as possible. I continually add compost to the area around the plant whenever I can. I try to plant as early as I can. If the roots sprout early (like February) I will cover the crowns on really cold nights (below 28) but they can usually handle cold weather. Once the plant gets big I harvest 3-5 stalks and make a pie. I don't follow the guidelines in the books that suggest waiting for three years before harvesting. Around here you never know if the plants are even going to survive summer heat so I say harvest when you can and hope for the best. I never take more than a third of the stalks off of any one plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here