Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzybitzy_gw

Best plants for a tree ring

itzybitzy_gw
13 years ago

Hello wonderful people I am a new gardener and need you help.I just build a ring around a navite pine-ish tree (the one that drops needles)any recomendations for the best plants to concider I don't want to kill the tree by choosing the wrong plant the area gets plenty of sun and shade all ideas are welcome,thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Hello Itzybitzy and welcome.
    If you think about it, part of the reason we use pine straw(needles) is because they help deter growth of other plants.
    Walk through a pine forest and not much grows there except the stray pine seedlings and weedy or native grasses.
    I think you're going to have trouble unless you place your flowers in pots and set them on the ground under the tree.
    Even then you might have a problem getting them to thrive with all the pine resin vapors in their growing area.
    But who knows, maybe someone has had some success with certain kinds of plants and will share their experiences with you.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH WOW! I'm not feeling good now; after all that work and money spent,so even all that top soil I put(about 20 40lb. bags)it is not posible to grow not even bulbs?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

It's never wise to put that much/weight soil on top of the root zone of any tree. It can kill a tree that's spent its life getting its roots just so, right distance from top of the soil to get water and nutrients and remain in a temperate zone for healthy microbial activity.
    Do some Googling about planting under evergreens and adding soil over tree roots. Meanwhile, draw back that soil as far from the trunk of the tree as you can for now.
    There's a tree forum on GardenWeb too. You might find more specific information on your project there. Good luck to you and the tree.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

The zone right under trees is very difficult to grow stuff in because the trees tend to suck up all the water and nutrients. I have seen where people build up a thick mulch and plant bulbs and things directly into the mulch, most often in large bowl shaped pots (think hanging baskets without the hanger). Under oaks I have had good success with potted houseplants like Swedish Ivy, sunk down into the moss and mulch, allowed to ramble around the shade. Same with Wandering Jew. You'd want to grow something fast like tropical houseplants.

I've also seen pots of Caladiums sunk into the mulch. By keeping things in pots you don't have to water the tree when you water the bloomers.

You do want to pull the mulch and top soil away from the zone closest to the tree trunk. Soil against the base of trees leads to all sorts of problems. No matter how big your ring of mulch/soil is the tree roots will quickly grow up into it (you'll be surprised). The dryer you keep the mulch the slower the tree will invade.

Some people plant Azaleas or Gardenia bushes under the shade of pines but they place them out towards the outside edge.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks trianglejohn I apreciate it.I love all the plants you mention.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022