Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
safariofthemind

Expanding Woodland Bed

safariofthemind
13 years ago

Just got started with the expansion of the woodland bed. Here's one of my sons putting down newspaper to kill the grass. We'll be covering the grass without removing it, then adding compost+ground bark+composted leaves. It should be ready to plant in a few weeks.

I am testing the photobucket service with this post. LMK if it works correctly.

{{gwi:569193}}

Comments (8)

• aezarien
    13 years ago

All systems are a go..

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good. Is the size ok or is the picture too big?

Recently took a set of pics of the renewal/rejuvenation work. I was too lazy to take some early spring pictures which is too bad. The celandine poppies and daffodils were stupendous this year. I'll be posting a link to a subset soon for folks to comment on.

Maybe other folks will get inspired to do the same. Virtual garden tours never get old.

RJ

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I think most would say the picture is too big...but I don't like small pictures either and prefer the larger pictures to see details.
    Try going down a size.

• aezarien
    13 years ago

There used to be tons of pictures posted here. I have plenty of them but haven't had time to get them together to post any.

• safariofthemind
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back in 2003 when I joined the site was hopping with new folks. Online communities tend to ebb and flow with the people moving in and out. I think that when blogs took off many people went solo and posted their own "albums" or "diaries". Nothing wrong with that of course, but I think the burnout rate for blogging is higher than forum participation for the simple requirement to spend more time maintaining them.

In my own case the ardor of building the original garden gave way to the reality of maintaining it. Maintenance is much less exciting and not "post worthy". On the other hand, older hands appreciate exchanging tips on how to do less time on maintenance and more on being creative and improving our beloved jardins.

All it takes is for a couple of us to get back into posting and showing our works and travails and we'll have this place hopping again :-)

RJ

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

The fact that ivillage owns your photos if you post here is a deterrent also.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I prefer the larger pictures also because I like the detail - at one time posting pictures was hard on the dial-up folks but most everyone is on high speed now so I don't think it presents as much of a problem now. I never ever get tired of seeing other gardens it is my inspiration and just flat out enjoyable.

RJ - will be looking forward to seeing the progression of your new garden - please post more pics :)......

Lynne

• aezarien
    13 years ago

As far as ivillage owning your photos goes, I would have to read the TOS to be certain but a lot of sites have clauses that give them an unlimited license to use your photos. I don't think any of them actually care to use them but it covers their butts legally.

The best way to deter photo theft (which is more likely from passing guests than the site itself) is to post smaller photos in the lowest resolution you can get it and still have it look decent. You can also embed information into the file itself that can only be read by certain utilities. That isn't completely reliable but works to an extent because a lot of people don't know to look for that information. In the end though, if it came down to a dispute, you always have the original. :o)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living