Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clare1501

Gardening on a slope

clare1501
14 years ago

Part of my new yard has a slope. It was impossible to mow grass so the first occupants surrounded it with edging and made a flower bed. I am told it was quite a sight and always in bloom. The next residents let it go and now all that is left are some daylilies and two rhododendrons . I really don't think it is the right place for them so seek advice. They are about 2 foot tall now.

The second question is what is best to place on a slope. What are easy maintenance but hardy? It's hard to dig as you slide downwards sometimes, but I have managed to put in some hostas. Around the edge I have placed ice plant and monkey grass, thinking they are pretty easy to grow. It has not rained since and I have visions of everything washing away when it does.

The top is quite dry, the bottom moist.

It would be great if I could terrace it but I can't financially manage that right now.

My daughter in law suggested getting some big rocks and making a rockery, but then the problem is how do I get big rocks home.

Any ideas, suggestions or tips welcome?

Comments (5)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Before you give up on the terracing idea, you might want to check the local Freecycle and see if you can score some used landscape timber like railroad ties(except not treated with creasote).
    Those big rocks can be added later but you have to do something to hold the soil and give your plants a reasonable foothold. Maintaining plantings on a slope is so much easier if done in terraced tiers.

• clare1501
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dottie. I've been looking. Like the idea of lavender too.

• safariofthemind
    14 years ago

Hi

One of my beds is on a slope. It was a great place to put plants that demanded good drainage like rock garden specimens and plants from less wet climates. I just added some rocks and dug in "steps" into the clay and then piled on the dirt. The first year I had some problems with soil sliding a little down the slope but after the plants took root, they locked everything into place and it all stays put now.

Terracing is a great idea if you can afford the hardscaping materials. Depending on the grade of the slope my one piece of advice is to consult with a builder before digging in because you may have soil erosion/sliding problems. It is well worth it for your piece of mind.

If you want a less expensive option you can do some tough plants that expand to make mats; a neighbor covered a quarter acre of slope with German iris and creeping junipers and it looks great, locking everything into place plus demanding little maintenance or water. You could even add sedums and sempervivums to the edges for added texture.

RJ

• coorscat
    13 years ago

here in the mountains all we have are slopes! I have one bed terraced from the rocks that were already here (OK we have slopes and rocks) since it is in the shade it has daffodils in early spring, ferns the rest of the growing season. On another slope I have groundcover to hold the soil in place, a large "decorative" boulder as a focal point and lots of daylillies...lots and lots of daylilles. They are perfect for holding the soil in place. The groundcover is key for the steepest slopes. On another slope I have retaining wall built from yet more local rocks and at the top are azaleas. The daylillies need some friends, because they are perfect for slopes.

• safariofthemind
    13 years ago

Funny how we always covet what we don't have. Down here in Raleigh we often have to pay to grade a site so we can improve drainage. And I can't begin to grow mountain laurel in my site. Each place has its unique beauty and its pros and cons. I bet you can grow lovely mountain Narcissus species like rupicola. And you can probably grow nice Lewisias. Look into plants from the mountains of Spain and Morocco for candidates. Cascade mountain specimens may also do well. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: PBS Species Daff Page